POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to tesselate? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:15 EDT (-0400)
  How to tesselate? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: How to tesselate?
Date: 29 Jan 2002 15:09:36
Message: <3C570163.391DE375@gmx.de>
Hi there!

I was strolling through a book-store these last days and found
a book on 3D-Raytracing, the techniques and math behind
it, as well as programming etc.

Sadly, there is not much to be found about real 3D-Objects,
like POV-Ray does (a sphere is a sphere, no hunch-bunch-
big-bag full of facettes). And while thinking about that,
I was wondering how one could actually tesselate an
object (creating some sort of mesh from the given object)
using only POV-Ray.

If this could be done somehow, it would open the door for
those complex object-modifications a mesh-renderer is able
to, but POV-Ray is not (I'd do this by introducing mesh-macros
to POV-Ray). A mentioned feature in the docs is the "bend"
of objects...

So, anyone has some tutorials, links or sites concerned with
tesselation? I'm rather keen at getting to know the stuff. :-)

Tim

--
Tim Nikias