POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to tesselate? : Re: How to tesselate? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to tesselate?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Jan 2002 13:28:27
Message: <3C583C96.A5FBEE91@hotmail.com>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> I was wondering how one could actually tesselate an
> object (creating some sort of mesh from the given object)
> using only POV-Ray.

The algorithm that comes to mind as I sit here is to slice up 3-d
space into cubes, and identify which cubes have edges which intersect
the surface of the object in question.  The patch of surface that is
contained by each cube could then be replaced with a handful of
triangles (probably no more than 12, likely averaging about four per
cube).

The smaller the cubes, the better the approximation.  The
time taken varies inversely with the volume of the cubes.

--
ICQ: 46085459