POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to tesselate? : Re: How to tesselate? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to tesselate?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Jan 2002 17:14:42
Message: <chrishuff-088B9F.17155330012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c5859f0@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet>
wrote:

> probably not very long anymore ... if the "right" people read this,
> they will in the former countries, where it is possible to patent
> these kind of things, patent it ...

I think if there is evidence an algorithm has already existed, it can no
longer be patented. The requirements are that it is not a trivial or
obvious solution and that it is original...but I'm not an expert.
I don't know how they got the marching cubes patent, it seems like a
very trivial and obvious solution to me. Probably got people who didn't
know any better to approve it. But we don't have to worry about the
marching triangles algorithm getting patented, it is too widely known
and used.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/