POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : next step (long and perhaps nothing interesting) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  next step (long and perhaps nothing interesting) (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: next step (long and perhaps nothing interesting)
Date: 17 Nov 2000 06:55:35
Message: <chrishuff-EE0BD9.06555217112000@news.povray.org>
I think what you are suggesting is an isosurface solving method for all
objects to allow non-linear transformations to be used...right?
This would be possible for many objects, but not for all...for example,
meshes wouldn't be easy(though you could probably do some kind of
proximity calculation).
Also, you wouldn't want to use the isosurface solving method to
completely replace the existing method, since it is sometimes slower and
less accurate. However, as an option, and even if only available for
some objects, it could potentially be very useful.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

> I think what you are suggesting is an isosurface solving method for
all
> objects to allow non-linear transformations to be used...right?

right

> This would be possible for many objects, but not for all...for
example,
> meshes wouldn't be easy(though you could probably do some kind of
> proximity calculation).

yes, there could be checking for proper mesh
i.e. looking for declaration of inside_vector or something

> However, as an option, and even if only available for
> some objects, it could potentially be very useful.

especially for this users with small perception of math

ABX

Post a reply to this message

: Also, you wouldn't want to use the isosurface solving method to
: completely replace the existing method, since it is sometimes slower and
: less accurate.

  Specially with meshes. I suppose that if you substituted a big mesh
with a bunch of isosurfaces, your rendering time will go to the roof :)

  "The derivative of sin(2x) is cos(2x)"  - Matt Giwer

Post a reply to this message