POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Thomas Baier
Subject: Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
Date: 2 Sep 1999 03:02:09
Message: <37cf1f39.1038899@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:45:37 GMT, c.b### [at] cwcomnet (Cliff Bowman)
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 06:11:34 GMT, NOS### [at] ibmnet (Thomas
>Baier) wrote:
>

>Double faces I think I know the reason for. A lot of modellers seem to
>get the normals *wrong* and so users sometimes make a copy of the
>model, flip the normals, and combine the two sets of meshes.

Right.

>Dirty, and probably works in many cases (i.e. patches holes) but time
>and memory are both wasted. I can't help but feel it'd cause some
>renderers to cough and splutter too  - though as I've not knowingly
>come across this yet I don't know how much POV "likes" or dislikes it.
>
>I'd expect there to be "coincident faces" (is that the term?) problems
>though.

I'm not really sure what you mean.

But one of the problems is that bordering faces do not use same the
vertices.

Anyway, you have to go around all problems to make a robust converter.

You have to build in some checks, which make the import slower.

-tb

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:45:37 GMT, Cliff Bowman wrote:

>Double faces I think I know the reason for. A lot of modellers seem to
>get the normals *wrong* and so users sometimes make a copy of the
>model, flip the normals, and combine the two sets of meshes.

I've actually seen this approach RECOMMENDED in an otherwise good
book.  Might have had something to do with the book being written
for an inferior modeller like MAX, though... <big grin for Lance>

Post a reply to this message

On 2 Sep 1999 09:22:17 -0400, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:45:37 GMT, Cliff Bowman wrote:
>
>>Double faces I think I know the reason for. A lot of modellers seem to
>>get the normals *wrong* and so users sometimes make a copy of the
>>model, flip the normals, and combine the two sets of meshes.
>
>I've actually seen this approach RECOMMENDED in an otherwise good
>book.  Might have had something to do with the book being written
>for an inferior modeller like MAX, though... <big grin for Lance>

????

Good grief.

And I'd just been working from conjecture... if such double faces WERE
imported into POV, how would it cope I wonder? I'll have to give it a
try. I can't help but think that with 2 triangles at the same point
POv would have difficulty deciding on which one to render at any given
X-Y co-ordinate - sometimes picking the one with the "correct" normal
and sometimes picking the other...

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/