POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 3 Sep 1999 17:19:40
Message: <37d03776.12396162@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 07:01:36 GMT, NOS### [at] ibmnet (Thomas
Baier) wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:45:37 GMT, c.b### [at] cwcomnet (Cliff Bowman)
>wrote:
[snip]
>>I'd expect there to be "coincident faces" (is that the term?) problems
>>though.
>
>I'm not really sure what you mean.

If 2 faces using the same vertecices, but with flipped normals (to
avoid holes) were imported, I wonder if POV would suffer from it's
co-incident faces problem. Like I've seen it (admittedly in the past)
where two objects are unioned instead of merged and have x,y, and z
co-ordinates equal at some point(s) - let's say one red cube and one
blue one.

box <-1,-1,-1>,<0.5,0.5,1> RED
box <-0.5,-1,-1><1,1,1> BLUE

For any given point where the faces are identically positionsed (X >=
-0.5 and X <= 0.5) should POV render red or blue?

Poor wording but then I don't write well.

>But one of the problems is that bordering faces do not use same the
>vertices.

Argh. That could be a problem - bordering faces not using the same
vertices? I'll have to watch for that.

>Anyway, you have to go around all problems to make a robust converter.
>
>You have to build in some checks, which make the import slower.

Speed fortunately isn't my main concern :)

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/