POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Thomas Baier
Date: 2 Sep 1999 03:02:09
Message: <37cf1f39.1038899@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:45:37 GMT, c.b### [at] cwcomnet (Cliff Bowman)
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 06:11:34 GMT, NOS### [at] ibmnet (Thomas
>Baier) wrote:
>

>Double faces I think I know the reason for. A lot of modellers seem to
>get the normals *wrong* and so users sometimes make a copy of the
>model, flip the normals, and combine the two sets of meshes.

Right.

>Dirty, and probably works in many cases (i.e. patches holes) but time
>and memory are both wasted. I can't help but feel it'd cause some
>renderers to cough and splutter too  - though as I've not knowingly
>come across this yet I don't know how much POV "likes" or dislikes it.
>
>I'd expect there to be "coincident faces" (is that the term?) problems
>though.

I'm not really sure what you mean.

But one of the problems is that bordering faces do not use same the
vertices.

Anyway, you have to go around all problems to make a robust converter.

You have to build in some checks, which make the import slower.

-tb