POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rift! Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Rift! (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: scott
Subject: Rift!
Date: 3 Sep 2015 09:39:57
Message: <55e84dad@news.povray.org>
I got an Oculus Rift DK2 yesterday :-)

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/dk2/

First impressions are WOW! Even with the poorly textured demo scene it
immediately fools your brain that you're actually there. I didn't
realise but even when you think you're sitting still your head is moving
slightly, and I think it's the image moving in perfect synchronisation
that fools your brain your most. You start to move your hands, and your
brain is expecting to see them move, but of course they don't appear in
the scene - it is a very strange feeling.

However I next fired up a car racing game (Live for Speed). In this game
there is a 3D model of driver and hands on the steering wheel. They move
in perfect sync with your own hands moving the physical wheel. It
completely fools your brain that it's your own arms and hands you're
looking at (even though they are low resolution polygon models with
obvious straight edges). When you take your hand off the wheel in real
life, and the hand in the game is still on the wheel, again it is a very
weird feeling like something has gone wrong in your eyes or head.

I took a while to just look around the detailing of the 3D model inside
the car, I'd never seen that before. You can even stick your head out
the side window and look down at the road - it's a pretty crazy feeling.

But there are two big downsides IMHO. First and most importantly the
image resolution is absolutely atrocious. I'm only used to 1680x1050
monitors at home, but this is like going back to 320x240 days. I know
they're using a 1920x1080 panel under the hood, but this is shared
between two eyes and it's not used all the way to the edges. I think the
optics also means the pixels appear bigger in the centre of the display
than towards the edges.

The only way I can describe it is to imagine you're sat right in the
front row in front of a huge cinema screen. Now imagine the film on the
screen was done at a resolution of 800x600. And you're only interested
in the action in a small spot directly ahead, so the important bit is
probably only using 250x250 resolution or something. Your brain starts
to filter out the pixel jaggies after a while, but the lack of detail
(especially objects in the distance) is very bad.

The other downside is the display certainly doesn't cover your entire
field of view. It's like wearing a full-face helmet, your peripheral
vision is black at the edges. The focus also goes off towards the edges,
so if you want to look at something near the edge of the screen (say the
side-mirror of the car) you can't just move your eyes to look that way,
you need to rotate your head round to bring that bit of the image
towards the centre of the screen.

I'd say they need to use at least 4x the pixels (4Kx2K panel) before
it's even matching a low-end PC monitor, let alone what people are used
to with "retina" displays nowadays. You'd probably need 8Kx4K for that.
Along with 16 GPUs to power it :-) That day will come though, this is
surely just the beginning!

Post a reply to this message

> But there are two big downsides IMHO. First and most importantly the
> image resolution is absolutely atrocious. I'm only used to 1680x1050
> monitors at home, but this is like going back to 320x240 days.

Wait a minute... are the graphics all red, and does the headset look like this?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Virtual-Boy-wController.jpg

XD

Post a reply to this message