POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rift! : Re: Rift! Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:30:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rift!
From: scott
Date: 7 Sep 2015 02:41:48
Message: <55ed31ac$1@news.povray.org>
>> But there are two big downsides IMHO. First and most importantly the
>> image resolution is absolutely atrocious. I'm only used to 1680x1050
>> monitors at home, but this is like going back to 320x240 days.
>
> Wait a minute... are the graphics all red, and does the headset look like this?
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Virtual-Boy-wController.jpg

Damn I've been had - I thought I had a loose connection on the green and
blue signals! But seriously the resolution in your central field of view
is likely similar in that device...

I think I remember reading that you need something along the lines of a
500 Mpixel display (about 30000x15000 pixels) per eye in order to allow
you to look in any direction and not see any pixellation. Of course you
could use advanced techniques to track your pupil and only render in
high detail the bit you are looking at, but you'd still need a display
that physically has that much resolution. Mmmmm 2x500MP@90Hz :-)