POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy? (Message 11 to 20 of 126)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy?
Date: 22 Sep 2014 10:15:38
Message: <54202f0a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.09.2014 15:57, schrieb Stephen:
> On 22/09/2014 13:39, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> In general, when you sell fear, it's good to have a visible represention
>> of what "THEY" look like, and the Soviets don't really fit the bill any
>> more.
>
> Do you want to look again? ;-)

The Russians, maybe. The Soviets, certainly not :-P

That said, Putin may be considered /evil/ enough, but is he an adversary
to be /feared/?

I don't think the average US-American citizen considers him a threat;
it's not like he shows any intentions to invade the US. Europe maybe,
but who cares...

Actually, even as a German, at this point I'm more worried about the
potential future course of America than I'm afraid of Vlad Putin. (If I
lived in the Ukraine - or anywhere closer to Russia than Poland, for
that matter - that would be entirely different of course.)

Post a reply to this message

>> On 22/09/2014 13:39, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>> In general, when you sell fear, it's good to have a visible represention
>>> of what "THEY" look like, and the Soviets don't really fit the bill any
>>> more.
>>
>> Do you want to look again? ;-)
>
> The Russians, maybe. The Soviets, certainly not :-P

True, unless you are bored to death at one of their council meetings. U+270C

> That said, Putin may be considered /evil/ enough, but is he an adversary
> to be /feared/?

I would say so.
Who would have thought that the death of Archduke Ferdinand would have
caused so much trouble? For instance.

> I don't think the average US-American citizen considers him a threat;
> it's not like he shows any intentions to invade the US. Europe maybe,
> but who cares...

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29288277 GPS/Sat Nav went down?
2. What does a macho-man do when his back is to the wall?

> Actually, even as a German, at this point I'm more worried about the
> potential future course of America than I'm afraid of Vlad Putin.

Yeah, scary as in the OP.

> (If I
> lived in the Ukraine - or anywhere closer to Russia than Poland, for
> that matter - that would be entirely different of course.)

There but for the grace of geography, go I.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> Do you want to look again? ;-)
>>
>> The Russians, maybe. The Soviets, certainly not :-P
>>

> True, unless you are bored to death at one of their council meetings.
> U+270C
>

>> That said, Putin may be considered /evil/ enough, but is he an adversary
>> to be /feared/?
>>

> I would say so.
> Who would have thought that the death of Archduke Ferdinand would have
> caused so much trouble? For instance.
>
>> I don't think the average US-American citizen considers him a threat;
>> it's not like he shows any intentions to invade the US. Europe maybe,
>> but who cares...
>>

> 1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29288277 GPS/Sat Nav went
> down?

They entered what is known as the Air Defence Identification Zone
(ADIZ), but did not enter US air space.

The planes, two of which were MiG 31 jets, left the area without incident.

Officials said this type of incident was not uncommon, and happens up to
10 times a year.

So nothing to be alarmed there. Actually, similar incidents regularly
occur between Greece and Turkey, without anyone in Europe (except maybe
for the Greeks ;-)) being seriously worried that one would anytime soon
invade the other.

> 2. What does a macho-man do when his back is to the wall?

Which of the two do you mean - Putin or Uncle Sam? :-P

The Americans haven't seriously pushed Vlad for decades now. They, too,
have more important stuff to do than to protect Europe's gas supply.

Post a reply to this message

> They entered what is known as the Air Defence Identification Zone
> (ADIZ), but did not enter US air space.
>
> The planes, two of which were MiG 31 jets, left the area without incident.
>
> Officials said this type of incident was not uncommon, and happens up to
> 10 times a year.

Yes, just what they did to us over the NE of Scotland. Which is why the
Lightning jet was developed. To intercept them before they could finish
their sandwiches.

Just what the Americans and Canadians did. Lets the baddies know that we
are on the ball.

> So nothing to be alarmed there. Actually, similar incidents regularly
> occur between Greece and Turkey, without anyone in Europe (except maybe
> for the Greeks ;-)) being seriously worried that one would anytime soon
> invade the other.

Okay I'll sleep better in my bed knowing that.

Wait until I can afford some guns for my Anaconda. I'll sort them out. ;-)

>> 2. What does a macho-man do when his back is to the wall?
>
> Which of the two do you mean - Putin or Uncle Sam? :-P

Good question. I'll get back to you on that.
Which reminds me. I read that Blair said that we might have to send
troops against the Islamic State. Another Christian Fundamentalist.

> The Americans haven't seriously pushed Vlad for decades now. They, too,
> have more important stuff to do than to protect Europe's gas supply.

True, like health care. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Sep 2014 14:39:09
Message: <54206ccd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.09.2014 18:07, schrieb Stephen:

> Wait until I can afford some guns for my Anaconda. I'll sort them out. ;-)

Damn, you *DO* have an Anaconda?

See me grow Vulcanian skin from envy.

I really /do/ have to zap you up - and take over your ship :-P

>>> 2. What does a macho-man do when his back is to the wall?
>>
>> Which of the two do you mean - Putin or Uncle Sam? :-P
>>

> Good question. I'll get back to you on that.
> Which reminds me. I read that Blair said that we might have to send
> troops against the Islamic State. Another Christian Fundamentalist.

Ah, I'm not sure about that one. the IS seems to be a serious problem
indeed, and there /are/ countries that have their share in being
responsible for that.

>> The Americans haven't seriously pushed Vlad for decades now. They, too,
>> have more important stuff to do than to protect Europe's gas supply.
>
> True, like health care. :-)

Depends on which half of the population you ask, it seems.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 22 Sep 2014 15:57:28
Message: <54207f28$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/09/2014 19:39, clipka wrote:
> Am 22.09.2014 18:07, schrieb Stephen:
>
>> Wait until I can afford some guns for my Anaconda. I'll sort them out.
>> ;-)
>
> Damn, you *DO* have an Anaconda?

and 1M5 credits to spend.
Much good does it do me. :-(

> See me grow Vulcanian skin from envy.

I thought that it was Martians and Treens that had green skin.

There is a green eyed yellow idol to the north of Kathmandu...

> I really /do/ have to zap you up - and take over your ship :-P

Find me online and you are welcome.

BTW there are two empty seats beside me.
Not to mention a class 8 hardpoint.

Kerboom!

>>> Which of the two do you mean - Putin or Uncle Sam? :-P
>>>

>> Good question. I'll get back to you on that.
>> Which reminds me. I read that Blair said that we might have to send
>> troops against the Islamic State. Another Christian Fundamentalist.
>
> Ah, I'm not sure about that one. the IS seems to be a serious problem
> indeed, and there /are/ countries that have their share in being
> responsible for that.

But if he believe that it is the right thing to do and God told him...

>>> The Americans haven't seriously pushed Vlad for decades now. They, too,
>>> have more important stuff to do than to protect Europe's gas supply.
>>
>> True, like health care. :-)
>
> Depends on which half of the population you ask, it seems.

Let's not try to have a sensible discussion on this.
The Americans here would probably agree it is a good thing but what
politician ever listened to the majority when it was not what they wanted?

--

Regards
     One scunnered Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Sep 2014 22:37:08
Message: <5420dcd4@news.povray.org>
Am 22.09.2014 21:57, schrieb Stephen:

>>> Which reminds me. I read that Blair said that we might have to send
>>> troops against the Islamic State. Another Christian Fundamentalist.
>>
>> Ah, I'm not sure about that one. the IS seems to be a serious problem
>> indeed, and there /are/ countries that have their share in being
>> responsible for that.
>
> But if he believe that it is the right thing to do and God told him...

Sounds a bit far-fetched to me; any reliable source for this?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Sep 2014 04:18:23
Message: <54212ccf$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/09/2014 03:37, clipka wrote:

>>> Ah, I'm not sure about that one. the IS seems to be a serious problem
>>> indeed, and there /are/ countries that have their share in being
>>> responsible for that.
>>
>> But if he believe that it is the right thing to do and God told him...
>
> Sounds a bit far-fetched to me; any reliable source for this?

I put the two clauses together and the one about God is an interpolation.

Google Tony Blare and God.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5373525/Tony-Blair-believed-God-wanted-him-to-go-to-war-to-fight-evil-claims-his-mentor.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4772142.stm

You may have to use a UK based proxy to see the last one.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Sep 2014 06:04:24
Message: <542145a8$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/09/2014 08:48, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> That is interesting. In Christian terms the devil being the entity most
> to be feared

In some parts of the Christian world it is God who is most to be feared. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 23 Sep 2014 07:26:04
Message: <542158cc$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.09.2014 10:18, schrieb Stephen:

>>> But if he believe that it is the right thing to do and God told him...
>>
>> Sounds a bit far-fetched to me; any reliable source for this?
>
> I put the two clauses together and the one about God is an interpolation.
>
> Google Tony Blare and God.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5373525/Tony-Blair-believed-God-wanted-him-to-go-to-war-to-fight-evil-claims-his-mentor.html

In light of this article, and if you had written "and God wants him
to...", I'd be compelled to agree. Still no sign of "and God told him...".

Either way, whatever his faith, he's certainly right in one thing:

Tony Blair complained in 2007 that he had been unable to talk about his
faith while in office as he would have been perceived as "a nutter".

And rightly so he would, as it seems.

God bless the British people for this difference to the US-Americans.