POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: Daren Scot Wilson
Subject: Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
Date: 4 Sep 1998 20:04:38
Message: <35F03A33.66AB177B@pipeline.com>
Roland, you have a good idea!

Pay no attention to the hecklers out there.

I would vote strongly in favor of Python.  Nobody likes TCL anymore.
Even the inventor of TCL doesn't seem to be so keen on it.   Visit
http://cito.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco/tcl/ for more on  that.   Enough
Religion...

Some people who use a particular platform are really fanatical about
everything running on that platform conforming to that platform's
conventions.   So they don't care about a portable GUI.  Let them enjoy
their stuff.

Some people hop between computers of different types, and are really
fanatical about common cross-platform GUIs that are consistent no matter
what hardware is running it.  They would be glad to have a portable
Python front end to POV-Ray.   Heck, I'd even pay for one!

Before embarking on a long project involving Python and Tk (through
Tkinter, Trinket, or whatever) you might want to play with Grail, the
web browser written in  Python.  It's slow.  Its designers aren't sure
whether to blame Python, Tk or substandard protocol handling. Beware.

There's also a GUI toolbox called gtk used in GIMP, and it too has a
Python interface.  I'm going to play with it "soon"....

Anyway, a portable GUI front end for POV-Ray is a *good* idea, and I'll
be glad to help.

Further pursuit of this probably belong in povray.programming
--

Daren Scot Wilson
Member, ACM

Post a reply to this message