POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: Roland Mas
Date: 18 Sep 1998 02:42:30
Message: <m3emtaf027.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
"Jon A. Cruz" <jon### [at] geocitiescom> writes:

> Roland Mas wrote:
> >
> >   Hello guys,
> >
> >   I'm just a poor Linux user who wishes he could use the brand-new and
> > (apparently) greatly improved versions of POV-Ray. The problem is, the
> > POV-Team seems to have a bit changed its opinion of porting POV-Ray:
> > it seems that the panel of officially supported platforms tends to
> > converge on the single Windows 95 version (maybe I'm a bit
> > exaggerating here),...
>
> Well, time for my $.02 here.
>
> If a portable UI is what people would like, and one that could act like
> the platform it is running on, or not, depending on the user's
> preference, then I'd really suggest looking into JFC/Swing for Java.

  Just to clarify the situation:

1. I still intend to (or at least to try to) write such a portable GUI in
the forecoming months.

2. If it works (even in alpha version), I'll try to get some more
precisions about legal issues, copyrights and licenses; if I get out with
positive results, I'll publish.

3. I do not intend to do it in Java (and I do not intend to start any of
those bloody religion wars again), because I do not like Java. I still
hesitate between Python/Tkinter and Elisp. I do not discourage anybody from
making another portable GUI. Java, TkPerl, Gtk, Python, whatever you want,
but I will not do mine in Java.

4. I still intend to start working as soon as I have a personal PC (which
is a matter of days now). And I still welcome any potential
helper/beta-tester (under the publishing restrictions I mentioned above).

  Thanks for your attention,

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,