POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: G  Berry
Date: 5 Sep 1998 04:49:06
Message: <35f0e736.20197612@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:55:15 +0100, "Matthew Bennett"
<ben### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

>Perhaps there appears to be more work done on the windows GUI of POV because
>this is proportional to the number of users that have this OS...  It seems
>to make sense to spend reasonably more time working on the most popular
>format..
>

>Matt

I believe the truth is a combination of your statement, and Ron
Parker's earlier statement. Chris Cason is the main author of the
Windows GUI for POV, just look at the Windows splash screen for a good
hint about that. Some have suggested that the POV team spent more time
or effort on Windows, but I don't think that is the case, for the same
reasons Ron Parker already explained.

As for why it might *seem* that way sometimes, I agree with Matthew's
statement above. Windows is a *very* common OS.  It's only natural to
have a lot of traffic posted concerning the windows version of POV. I
hope that no one thinks for a moment that the POV-Team is playing
"favorites" with any one OS. In fact, I think they have been extremely
cross-platform oriented in their approach. I have always admired that.

As for user stats, I can't speak for the POV-Team, but I can mention
that the Internet Movie Project has a large contingent of Windows
users.  Of all the OS's represented in The Internet Movie Project,
Windows is the most common. That is, if you ignore the ability to run
Windows in DOS mode.   :)    Perhaps I should have said "Win-DOS" is
the most common...

Later,

Glen Berry

Vice Project Coordinator
The Internet Movie Project (IMP)
Homepage: http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/MovieProject/index.html

To reply via personal email, remove the "X" from Xno### [at] ezwvcom