POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wicker basket Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  wicker basket (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Chris Colefax
Subject: Re: wicker basket
Date: 14 Jan 2001 19:21:28
Message: <3a624288@news.povray.org>
John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:
> That is beautiful!  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll follow up that thread on
> p.b.i.

Thank you!  As I wrote in the original message with the image, the basket
was created as an example of my Spline Macro File.

The entire construction is defined by four splines giving the profile of the
basket, the weft around the basket (circular in this case), the looped edges
and the handle.  A combination of pipe splines (using cylinders to follow
the shape of the path) and torus pipe splines/coil splines (using torii
segments) is then used to create the basket.  The beauty of the torus
splines is that given the right settings they automatically create the waved
shape of the weft, without having to specify each curve.  The entire scene
file is just over 2 Kb.

If you want to create weavings with non-circular cross sections, you can
define your own macros for creating objects based on splines, using triangle
meshes, bicubic patches (which can be translated directly to spline
segments), or really any type of objects you like.  And in the absence of
complete documentation, please feel free to contact me if you need help....

Post a reply to this message

> > That is beautiful!  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll follow up that thread
on
> > p.b.i.
>
> Thank you!  As I wrote in the original message with the image, the basket
> was created as an example of my Spline Macro File.

I sent you email direct after following up on that macro.

> The entire construction is defined by four splines giving the profile of
the
> basket, the weft around the basket (circular in this case), the looped
edges
> and the handle.  A combination of pipe splines (using cylinders to follow
> the shape of the path) and torus pipe splines/coil splines (using torii
> segments) is then used to create the basket.  The beauty of the torus
> splines is that given the right settings they automatically create the
waved
> shape of the weft, without having to specify each curve.  The entire scene
> file is just over 2 Kb.

The part about the beauty of torus splines I see: I figured as much upon
reading your tutorial.  I don't follow the rest of it.  The weaving is a
hierarical system of splines, one for the overall shape and another for the
weave??

Grabbing digital camera... here is a life-model of what I was thinking about
(posted to p.b.i.), but after seeing yours, I really like the open weave,
too.  So now I'm thinking of the diamond-shape "dish" like mine, but with a
more open weave like yours, to show the contents better.  Each of the 4
sides and bottom would be flat, maybe made as individual panels and tied to
a metal frame.

> If you want to create weavings with non-circular cross sections, you can
> define your own macros for creating objects based on splines, using
triangle
> meshes, bicubic patches (which can be translated directly to spline
> segments), or really any type of objects you like.  And in the absence of
> complete documentation, please feel free to contact me if you need
help....

I'm thinking of thin, flat strips of wood or bark.  Sticking a wood texture
on an isosurface or carefully "carved" undulation pattern would not look
right -- it's more like a U-V mapping, not cut from material in that shape.
Know what I mean?  If strips are cut parallel to the grain, that might be
close enough, though.

--John

Post a reply to this message

John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:
> The part about the beauty of torus splines I see: I figured as much upon
> reading your tutorial.  I don't follow the rest of it.  The weaving is a
> hierarical system of splines, one for the overall shape and another for
the
> weave??

Yes - one spline defines the profile that is revolved to form the shape of
the basket, another is a simple circle which is repeated at intervals along
the profile spline to create the weave.

> Grabbing digital camera... here is a life-model of what I was thinking
about
> (posted to p.b.i.), but after seeing yours, I really like the open weave,
> too.  So now I'm thinking of the diamond-shape "dish" like mine, but with
> more open weave like yours, to show the contents better.  Each of the 4
> sides and bottom would be flat, maybe made as individual panels and tied
> a metal frame.
>
> I'm thinking of thin, flat strips of wood or bark.  Sticking a wood
texture
> on an isosurface or carefully "carved" undulation pattern would not look
> right -- it's more like a U-V mapping, not cut from material in that
shape.
> Know what I mean?  If strips are cut parallel to the grain, that might be
> close enough, though.

Looking at the shape of the basket you posted the photo of, I would say
breaking the construction into parts is probably the best option.  The base
could be created using cylinders and waved torus splines, stretched in the
horizontal direction to flatten them.

The sides might be a little more complicated, particularly as the photo
doesn't clearly reveal exactly how they're woven.  You could define a
continuous spline that follows the perimeter of the basket, using this for
the horizontal canes that build up the sides, and for spacing the binding
canes that hold them together (which could be defined by another spline).
But if you wanted a more open weave, perhaps you could use vertical struts
with a weft around the sides instead.

Texture wise, I think using UV mapping to follow the exact bending of each
object might be termed "overkill"!  Given that the texture will probably
have some amount of turbulence, a little mapping to follow the general shape
of the basket (rather than the individual canes) should be sufficient.

Post a reply to this message