POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wicker basket : Re: wicker basket Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wicker basket
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 16 Jan 2001 17:49:36
Message: <3a64d000@news.povray.org>
John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:
> Why does changing the spline_steps from 120 to 60 (1210 frame level
objects
> vs. 610, a factor of 2)affect the rendring time by a factor of 7.6?  It's
> even slow on the blank "sky" area above the image and the blank "desk"
> below.  Bounding boxes, where art thou?

Where indeed?  I don't specify any bounding boxes internally in the Spline
Macro File, as these will be overridden by POV-Ray unless the -UR command
line option is used.  Instead, each torus is clipped using boxes that fit
the desired segment as closely as possible.  Ideally, POV-Ray would the
bound each torus by its clipping box.  You may find it's best to perform
some manual bounding, however (at least for the union that forms the
weaving, to prevent slow rendering above and below).