POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wicker basket : Re: wicker basket Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wicker basket
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 14 Jan 2001 19:21:28
Message: <3a624288@news.povray.org>
John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:
> That is beautiful!  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll follow up that thread on
> p.b.i.

Thank you!  As I wrote in the original message with the image, the basket
was created as an example of my Spline Macro File.

The entire construction is defined by four splines giving the profile of the
basket, the weft around the basket (circular in this case), the looped edges
and the handle.  A combination of pipe splines (using cylinders to follow
the shape of the path) and torus pipe splines/coil splines (using torii
segments) is then used to create the basket.  The beauty of the torus
splines is that given the right settings they automatically create the waved
shape of the weft, without having to specify each curve.  The entire scene
file is just over 2 Kb.

If you want to create weavings with non-circular cross sections, you can
define your own macros for creating objects based on splines, using triangle
meshes, bicubic patches (which can be translated directly to spline
segments), or really any type of objects you like.  And in the absence of
complete documentation, please feel free to contact me if you need help....