POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wicker basket : Re: wicker basket Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wicker basket
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 15 Jan 2001 00:21:03
Message: <3a6288bf$1@news.povray.org>
> > That is beautiful!  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll follow up that thread
on
> > p.b.i.
>
> Thank you!  As I wrote in the original message with the image, the basket
> was created as an example of my Spline Macro File.

I sent you email direct after following up on that macro.

> The entire construction is defined by four splines giving the profile of
the
> basket, the weft around the basket (circular in this case), the looped
edges
> and the handle.  A combination of pipe splines (using cylinders to follow
> the shape of the path) and torus pipe splines/coil splines (using torii
> segments) is then used to create the basket.  The beauty of the torus
> splines is that given the right settings they automatically create the
waved
> shape of the weft, without having to specify each curve.  The entire scene
> file is just over 2 Kb.

The part about the beauty of torus splines I see: I figured as much upon
reading your tutorial.  I don't follow the rest of it.  The weaving is a
hierarical system of splines, one for the overall shape and another for the
weave??

Grabbing digital camera... here is a life-model of what I was thinking about
(posted to p.b.i.), but after seeing yours, I really like the open weave,
too.  So now I'm thinking of the diamond-shape "dish" like mine, but with a
more open weave like yours, to show the contents better.  Each of the 4
sides and bottom would be flat, maybe made as individual panels and tied to
a metal frame.

> If you want to create weavings with non-circular cross sections, you can
> define your own macros for creating objects based on splines, using
triangle
> meshes, bicubic patches (which can be translated directly to spline
> segments), or really any type of objects you like.  And in the absence of
> complete documentation, please feel free to contact me if you need
help....

I'm thinking of thin, flat strips of wood or bark.  Sticking a wood texture
on an isosurface or carefully "carved" undulation pattern would not look
right -- it's more like a U-V mapping, not cut from material in that shape.
Know what I mean?  If strips are cut parallel to the grain, that might be
close enough, though.

--John