POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : wicker basket : Re: wicker basket Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wicker basket
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 15 Jan 2001 19:16:43
Message: <3a6392eb$1@news.povray.org>
> Looking at the shape of the basket you posted the photo of, I would say
> breaking the construction into parts is probably the best option.  The
base
> could be created using cylinders and waved torus splines, stretched in the
> horizontal direction to flatten them.

I'll start with the bottom.  This "surface" is then general-purpose and I
can use for sides of things too, like hampers.  Then I'll design the
more-open sides.

I don't know the terminology you used, as I never took basket-weaving in
school.  But I see the straight (not bent) sticks running in one direction
give it strength, and flat ribbons weave among them using a high "tension"
parameter.  I see a blob_spline can be flattened like a ribbon, but I don't
see an option for torus_pipe_spline.  You mean flatten the entire shape
after defining it?  That means I'll need to pre-compensate the amplitude.

--John