POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grass Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Grass (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Niki Estner
Subject: Grass
Date: 30 Aug 2002 04:24:00
Message: <3d6f2ba0@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

I got a scene where I need some grass. I know, there are include files on
the www that do wonderful grass, but in my case the camera is quite far of,
so only rough shapes can be seen: I decided to make only ellipsoids for the
grass. So I built a #while loop that creates 500.000 spheres, all scaled,
rotated and translated.
Unfortunately this needs far too much memory. (much more that I have)
I tried something alike with triangles (in a mesh), but with that it'd need
weeks to render the scene (spheres with lots of swapping are actually
faster!)

I don't think this is a new problem: using many particles for hair, grass,
explosions isn't a big idea, and using the fastest raytracing object - the
sphere - is also only reasonable. Did anyone find a way to keep the memory
usage in bounds?

Niki

Post a reply to this message