POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grass : Re: Grass Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Aug 2002 12:18:39
Message: <chrishuff-1AD438.12180330082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d6f6e72$1@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom>
wrote:

> #declare a grass blade, and then place however many of them with
> object{grassblade translate...}. Then it's not creating a new object in
> memory for every blade.

Wrong, it does create a new object for each blade. With meshes, the
geometry data gets shared between all the copies, so you can make lots
of complex objects with very little memory...each mesh only needs
transformations, flags, a pointer to the geometry data, and maybe
textures (I'm not sure how textures are handled).

The usual method of making grass is to make a mesh of a patch of grass,
and duplicate that patch around the scene. To avoid tiling effects, you
can randomly select from an array of several different patches and/or
randomly rotate or flip (scale by -1 along a dimension) the patches.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/