POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grass : Re: Grass Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass
From: Niki Estner
Date: 30 Aug 2002 13:17:26
Message: <3d6fa8a6@news.povray.org>
> What makes you think the sphere is the fastest?
I tried putting 10000 spheres and 10000 triangles into a scene. Rendering
the triangle scene took about 5 times longer (don't know the exact numbers
any more).
For a triangle an intersection between a plane and a ray has to be
calculated, and then it has to be checked if the point is inside the
triangle. For a sphere, only the intersection point has to be calculated. I
think checking if a point is inside a triangle is more complex than
calculating the ray-sphere intersection.

> Using meshes is more efficient memory-wise, and probably a lot faster
> than a bunch of spheres.
Triangles surely need less memory, but they seem to render slower. Also, if
I want similar effects to the sphere-grass, I need smooth triangles, which
render even more slower.