POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Grass : Re: Grass Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass
From: Micha Riser
Date: 30 Aug 2002 04:54:43
Message: <3d6f32d2@news.povray.org>
Niki Estner wrote:

> Unfortunately this needs far too much memory. (much more that I have)
> I tried something alike with triangles (in a mesh), but with that it'd
> need weeks to render the scene (spheres with lots of swapping are actually
> faster!)

Mesh have the advantage that when you copy them they need only some bytes
(probably a few hundreds) for the copy. This does not help when you use
mesh of a single grass blade and copy it 500000 times. But when you instead
make a mesh of 1000 grass blades and copy it 500 times you only need the
memory for 1000 grass blades plus 499 times the memory for the mesh copy.
It should also render reasonably fast. Rune has made an intersting grass
texture that actually works on the texture level and does not simulate the
individual blades with objects
(http://runevision.com/3d/include/include.asp).

- Micha

--