POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All shopped out Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  All shopped out (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: All shopped out
Date: 8 Sep 2008 15:27:11
Message: <48c57c8f$1@news.povray.org>
Yesterday, my mother decided that sitting at home watching TV was making
her back hurt too much, so we should all go out shopping instead.

(Does that logic make ANY SENSE to anybody here? Cos it makes no sense
at all to me!)

Suffice it to say, mum spent all day complaining about how all the
walking was making her back hurt. And making me spend my money.

I'm actually a little alarmed at how much money I spent. I mean, it's no
secret that you can very easily click on ebuyer.com and write off many
thousand pounds in a few mouse clicks (and then close the browser window
without paying). But I'm a little surprised I managed to spend this much
money just on clothes...

Well anyway, my office shoes are falling apart. One has a hole in it,
and both are battered and worn out. (I've had them probably 2 years or
so.) So I bought some new shoes.

But that wasn't the expensive part. After that, I decided to buy myself
some "casual" shoes. (Since I only ever leave my house to go to work,
I've never owned any shoes except office shoes. Last time I was out with
my friends, they pointed out that you can't actually wear office shoes

The trip to "Mark Expensive" was actually the *cheapest* event of the

In summary, I now have a collection of various crumpled out shirts and
faded jeans. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea whether this makes me
look like the height of fashion or a total moron...

...a very impoverished moron at that! o_O

Life is fun, eh? :-/

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Yesterday, my mother decided that sitting at home watching TV was making
> her back hurt too much, so we should all go out shopping instead.
>
> (Does that logic make ANY SENSE to anybody here? Cos it makes no sense
> at all to me!)

Live with 'em long enough and you'll realise that that is logical
compared to some of the other non-sequiters that they (female humans)
come out with.
*Dons flame-proof underwear and puts on armour*

<snip>

> But that wasn't the expensive part. After that, I decided to buy myself
> some "casual" shoes. (Since I only ever leave my house to go to work,
> I've never owned any shoes except office shoes. Last time I was out with
> my friends, they pointed out that you can't actually wear office shoes

formal shoes with jeans. Teamed with a white, ironed shirt and a good
jacket it looks pretty good (at least that's what The Kat says)

> The trip to "Mark Expensive" was actually the *cheapest* event of the

> In summary, I now have a collection of various crumpled out shirts and
> faded jeans. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea whether this makes me
> look like the height of fashion or a total moron...

So buy some new jeans (or chinos) and a few good shirts

John

--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Sep 2008 16:40:39
Message: <48c58dc7@news.povray.org>
> Suffice it to say, mum spent all day complaining about how all the
> walking was making her back hurt. And making me spend my money.

  I know this may sound incredibly rude and tactless (not my intention,
really), but have you considered "leaving the nest", so to speak? Most
people of your age (although I must admit I don't know your age, but
I'm pretty sure it's over 20) have moved out to their own apartment,
even if they live alone.

  Sure, it will become much more expensive to live (especially because
of the rent), but that's life, and you'll have to do it sooner or later
anyways. You'll soon start appreciating the privacy of having your own
home.

  Just asking for your thoughts, nothing more.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 8 Sep 2008 17:58:42
Message: <48c5a012@news.povray.org>
>> Suffice it to say, mum spent all day complaining about how all the
>> walking was making her back hurt. And making me spend my money.
>
>  I know this may sound incredibly rude and tactless (not my intention,
> really), but have you considered "leaving the nest", so to speak? Most
> people of your age (although I must admit I don't know your age, but
> I'm pretty sure it's over 20) have moved out to their own apartment,
> even if they live alone.
>
>  Sure, it will become much more expensive to live (especially because
> of the rent), but that's life, and you'll have to do it sooner or later
> anyways. You'll soon start appreciating the privacy of having your own
> home.
>
>  Just asking for your thoughts, nothing more.

      We've done that one to death Warp. Shame really, because our mascot
really *needs* to know what life can throw at him in the Big Wide World. And
then learn from it.

    But, let's get this straight. (Sorry Andrew, I'm really not trying to
talk in the third-person view here), but if Andrew moved away, would his
Mother leave him alone to get on with it?? Somehow, I don't think so. So
he'll still be trapped, but in an alien World.

   Just my opinion from what I've learnt in life.

    ~Steve~

> --
>                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Sep 2008 18:53:24
Message: <48c5ace3@news.povray.org>
St. <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>     But, let's get this straight. (Sorry Andrew, I'm really not trying to
> talk in the third-person view here), but if Andrew moved away, would his
> Mother leave him alone to get on with it?? Somehow, I don't think so. So
> he'll still be trapped, but in an alien World.

>    Just my opinion from what I've learnt in life.

  It depends a lot on the mother, of course. Some mothers more or less
kick their children out of the house (with the best of intentions, of
course) when they become too old (ie. approximately over 20), while
others wouldn't want to let go no matter what. Of course most mothers
are somewhere in between these two extremes, who might be a bit worried
to see their children move out, but who understand perfectly that that's
how life goes on. In my experience most mothers don't have too much
problems letting their children go (even if they feel nostalgic doing so).
Of course this depends a lot on the local culture too.

  Naturally in some cases the children moving out is a matter of necessity,
eg. because of them going to college/university in another city or, in
some cases, because of getting married.

  Then there are differences between mothers of people who have moved out.
Some mothers want to be in constant contact and to know every detail of
what their child is doing, calling almost every day and visiting often
(and demanding their child to visit often), especially if the distance
is not too large, while others leave their children in peace. The worst
mothers are the ones who want complete control of their children's lives
because they feel abandoned and unneeded.

  At some point people just have to leave home. That's part of life.
IMO parents shouldn't make this too difficult, but support their children
in this process, especially if they fear leaving the comfort of home sweet
home to the big cruel world.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Sep 2008 03:59:30
Message: <48c62ce2@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Have you considered "leaving the nest", so to speak?

Yeah, this is something I'd very much like to do. Unfortunately, for the
tiny wages I currently earn, it's not really feasible. (This is one of
the reasons I want a new job - so I can earn a sane amount of money.)

> Mostpeople of your age have moved out to their own apartment,
> even if they live alone.

You're probably right about that.

> You'll soon start appreciating the privacy of having your own home.

Hell yeah! Not to mention actually being able to invite my friends over.
(You know - once I have more than 3.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Sep 2008 04:04:14
Message: <48c62dfe$1@news.povray.org>
>>     But, let's get this straight. If Andrew moved away, would his
>> Mother leave him alone to get on with it?? Somehow, I don't think so. So
>> he'll still be trapped, but in an alien World.
>
>   It depends a lot on the mother, of course.

That it does.

Some hints: When my sister went to uni, she chose Manchester. When she
finished uni, she moved to Hull. She now lives in Guildford.

And she *still* has to put up with my mother trying to tell her how to
live her life. Heh. ;-)

What can I say? My mother is just a very bossy person.

Even so, not actually living with this women would make my life
dramatically easier in a multitude of ways. The problem is money.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Sep 2008 05:58:14
Message: <op.ug7kj1kmc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:53:24 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

>   At some point people just have to leave home. That's part of life.

No that's part of Western life, in some cultures this would be considered
the norm and the desire for both parents and children to split as quickly
as possible would be viewed with distaste.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Sep 2008 07:24:48
Message: <op.ug7ol0a8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:27:11 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake, saying:

> Yesterday, my mother decided that sitting at home watching TV was making
> her back hurt too much, so we should all go out shopping instead.
>
> (Does that logic make ANY SENSE to anybody here? Cos it makes no sense
> at all to me!)
>
> Suffice it to say, mum spent all day complaining about how all the
> walking was making her back hurt. And making me spend my money.

Yes perfect logic.

> But that wasn't the expensive part. After that, I decided to buy myself
> some "casual" shoes. (Since I only ever leave my house to go to work,
> I've never owned any shoes except office shoes. Last time I was out with
> my friends, they pointed out that you can't actually wear office shoes
> with jeans.)

As the Doc points out you can, but it does depend on the shoes

> This is where things became expensive. £55 for a pair of Sketchers, and
> another £25 for some other things. Total bill £125. Ouch.

Again this is about what I pay for a pair of shoes.

> The trip to "Mark Expensive" was actually the *cheapest* event of the
> day. A mere £40 was spent there. But visiting Burtons and River Island
> was significantly less frugal. IIRC I exceeded £100 on both counts. o_O

Last time at S&M I picked up a couple of pairs of trousers for £15 apiece
and a jacket for £30ish and that's about right for something vaguely
decent. My last trip to Merry Hell, to run in my shiny new car, I spent
about £200 which is a typical amount. Then again I needed some new
bedsheets and only had a choice of S&M and Debentarts 18 frickin' quid for
a piece of cloth oh sure it's a cotton-rich, high thread piece of cloth as
woven by the lost priests of Atlantis, but sheesh.

> In summary, I now have a collection of various crumpled out shirts and
> faded jeans. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea whether this makes me
> look like the height of fashion or a total moron...

If in doubt turn to the wise words of the Monestry of Cool

> ...a very impoverished moron at that! o_O
>
> Life is fun, eh? :-/

Ah you know what they say, you've got to spend money to make money...
unless you're a stockbroker or banker in which case you've got to spend
other people's money to make yourself money ;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Sep 2008 07:42:26
Message: <48c66122@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> And lo on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:27:11 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
> did spake, saying:
>
>> Yesterday, my mother decided that sitting at home watching TV was
>> making her back hurt too much, so we should all go out shopping instead.
>>
>> (Does that logic make ANY SENSE to anybody here? Cos it makes no sense
>> at all to me!)
>>
>> Suffice it to say, mum spent all day complaining about how all the
>> walking was making her back hurt. And making me spend my money.
>
> Yes perfect logic.

Sure it is - if you happen to be a WOMAN! :-P

>> This is where things became expensive. £55 for a pair of Sketchers,
>> and another £25 for some other things. Total bill £125. Ouch.
>
> Again this is about what I pay for a pair of shoes.

Hmm. Well usually a pair of shoes costs me about £20. ;-)

(Well... except for that one time in ASDA where I put on a pair of shoes
and they fitted exactly, so I bought them. Those were £15.)

> Last time at S&M I picked up a couple of pairs of trousers for £15
> apiece and a jacket for £30ish and that's about right for something
> vaguely decent. My last trip to Merry Hell, to run in my shiny new car,
> I spent about £200 which is a typical amount. Then again I needed some
> new bedsheets and only had a choice of S&M and Debentarts 18 frickin'
> quid for a piece of cloth oh sure it's a cotton-rich, high thread piece
> of cloth as woven by the lost priests of Atlantis, but sheesh.

Dude, you're such a funny guy...

> Ah you know what they say, you've got to spend money to make money...
> unless you're a stockbroker or banker in which case you've got to spend
> other people's money to make yourself money ;-)

"The best way to make a small fortune in Formula One is to start out
with a large one."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/