POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game opinions Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Game opinions (Message 61 to 70 of 112)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Game opinions
Date: 4 Feb 2008 09:23:20
Message: <op.t5z7i2hac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 13:18:12 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> I can't *find* the enemy to enguage them until they reach the rebel base
>> - which gives you about 20 seconds to kill them. (!)
>
>> I also find it extremely difficult to throw the bomb, stick it to a
>> Strider, and then switch weapons fast enough to shoot it. I don't *get*
>> how all these players you see on TV manage to switch weapon in a split
>> second; it takes me ages...
>
>   Btw, have you checked at Valve's statistics page how many people have
> completed the game, even at the most difficult setting? I assume that the
> vast majority (if not all of them) did not do it with cheating codes
> (I would assume that Valve has made the game so that it won't send the
> statistic if you completed the game in cheating mode).

You'd expect.

>   This tells that it's perfectly possible to complete the game.

Okay someone find a video showing someone balancing a pencil on its point
to illustrate the difference between possible and bloody difficult.

> I completed the game. The last battle was not easy, but doable.

Unless you play it the way the game tells you to. 'Go and find that squad
by the sawmill' so off you go then it's 'incoming from the water towers'
what bloody water towers? What, you mean you didn't memorise that map on
the desk back in the base?

>   Stop talking about "it seems impossible", and just do it, because
> it's not impossible.

Just annoying, repetitive and boring. Hey look it's a Strider, oo and
another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and another,
and another, and oh wait we're done. Nope silly me here's another Strider,
and another, and another, and another, and another. Gee wasn't that fun?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

> Just annoying, repetitive and boring. Hey look it's a Strider, oo and
> another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and
> another, and another, and oh wait we're done. Nope silly me here's
> another Strider, and another, and another, and another, and another. Gee
> wasn't that fun?

More fun than that battle in EP1 that takes place in a dark room waiting
for the lift to arrive.

[Honestly, no matter how many zombies I killed, there always seemed to
be more of them... Not to mention that killing things with a crowbar
isn't easy. But hey, if you have no ammo left, what else can you do?]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 14:46:52 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> Just annoying, repetitive and boring. Hey look it's a Strider, oo and
>> another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and
>> another, and another, and oh wait we're done. Nope silly me here's
>> another Strider, and another, and another, and another, and another.
>> Gee wasn't that fun?
>
> More fun than that battle in EP1 that takes place in a dark room waiting
> for the lift to arrive.

I was more annoyed by the Mr Benn approach - As if by magic the Head-crab
zombies appeared. Then again the scripted events in HL2 are getting tired
especially the second time around - ran around as much as like with no
enemies until you step in the magic area/pull the lever at which point you
get a Mr Benn.

> [Honestly, no matter how many zombies I killed, there always seemed to
> be more of them... Not to mention that killing things with a crowbar
> isn't easy. But hey, if you have no ammo left, what else can you do?]

Hmm shotgun for the speedy little sods, grav-gun plus HE barrels (minding
you don't hit Alyx) for the others. Don't head for the lift until it's
down, then run for it; the speedy ones will get to you anyway and there
seems to be more slow-walkers closer to the lift.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> [Honestly, no matter how many zombies I killed, there always seemed to
>> be more of them... Not to mention that killing things with a crowbar
>> isn't easy. But hey, if you have no ammo left, what else can you do?]
>
> Hmm shotgun for the speedy little sods, grav-gun plus HE barrels
> (minding you don't hit Alyx) for the others. Don't head for the lift
> until it's down, then run for it; the speedy ones will get to you anyway
> and there seems to be more slow-walkers closer to the lift.

I still don't "get" how you can kill anything with a gravity gun.
[Except yourself, that is.]

Seriously. You point it at a gas cylinder and it picks up a tiny pebble
6 feet to the left of the gas cylinder. FTW? It's just so *hopelessly*
inaccurate. It takes 10 minutes to do anything useful with it - far too
slow to be of use turing a tense battle scene.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:27:11 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> [Honestly, no matter how many zombies I killed, there always seemed to
>>> be more of them... Not to mention that killing things with a crowbar
>>> isn't easy. But hey, if you have no ammo left, what else can you do?]
>>  Hmm shotgun for the speedy little sods, grav-gun plus HE barrels
>> (minding you don't hit Alyx) for the others. Don't head for the lift
>> until it's down, then run for it; the speedy ones will get to you
>> anyway and there seems to be more slow-walkers closer to the lift.
>
> I still don't "get" how you can kill anything with a gravity gun.
> [Except yourself, that is.]
>
> Seriously. You point it at a gas cylinder and it picks up a tiny pebble
> 6 feet to the left of the gas cylinder. FTW? It's just so *hopelessly*
> inaccurate. It takes 10 minutes to do anything useful with it - far too
> slow to be of use turing a tense battle scene.

Again I'm on a PS3 so the aiming's tweaked, but yeah it's still a bit too
precise and it's damned annoying that you've just picked up that splinter
of wood and not the buzzsaw blade right next to/beneath it; some sort of
priority system needs to be put in there.

It's also fun to kill the head-crabs with if you want to save ammo don't
want to use the crowbar; takes a couple of hits, bt at least it's a range
weapon.

For a device that's supposed to be used in handling hazardous materials
I've also found it amusing that a) it's difficult to manipulate an object
you're holding i.e. rotate it; and b) that for any object of around
briefcase size it obscures your forward vision.

That was the other annoying thing about the pathetically fragile bombs in
Ep2 pick one up and watch the Strider disappear. 'Aim at the Strider',
'What Strider? All I can see is this bloody bomb in front of my face'.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> Seriously. You point it at a gas cylinder and it picks up a tiny
>> pebble 6 feet to the left of the gas cylinder. FTW? It's just so
>> *hopelessly* inaccurate. It takes 10 minutes to do anything useful
>> with it - far too slow to be of use turing a tense battle scene.
>
> Again I'm on a PS3 so the aiming's tweaked,

1. There exists a PS3?

2. You own one?

3. EP2 is available for something other than PC?

4. OMG, how do you *play* with only 3 buttons??

> but yeah it's still a bit
> too precise and it's damned annoying that you've just picked up that
> splinter of wood and not the buzzsaw blade right next to/beneath it;
> some sort of priority system needs to be put in there.

Like I said, it tends to pick up things I'm not even remotely pointing
at. Point it directly at the huge boulder and it picks up something
several feet to one side or another. Hmm.

> It's also fun to kill the head-crabs with if you want to save ammo don't
> want to use the crowbar; takes a couple of hits, bt at least it's a
> range weapon.

Yeah, but you can *never* find anything to throw when you actually want
to use the gravity gun. Only when you're *not* trying to use it. That's
why it's useless in any kind of battle. You can never find ammo in time,
it takes 12 attempts to pick up the ammo, now you can't see where you're
aiming... oh, NM, you're already dead.

> For a device that's supposed to be used in handling hazardous materials
> I've also found it amusing that a) it's difficult to manipulate an
> object you're holding i.e. rotate it; and b) that for any object of
> around briefcase size it obscures your forward vision.

It does, however, reset the fuse on grenades. Note disable it, just
reset it at the moment you pick it up. WTF?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:49:02 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did

spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> Seriously. You point it at a gas cylinder and it picks up a tiny

>>> pebble 6 feet to the left of the gas cylinder. FTW? It's just so

>>> *hopelessly* inaccurate. It takes 10 minutes to do anything useful

>>> with it - far too slow to be of use turing a tense battle scene.
>>  Again I'm on a PS3 so the aiming's tweaked,
>
> 1. There exists a PS3?

Yes.

> 2. You own one?

Yes.

> 3. EP2 is available for something other than PC?

Even availble for the Xbox360. Not the Wii though (yet).

> 4. OMG, how do you *play* with only 3 buttons??

Assuming you're vaguely serious I've got 14 buttons plus two analogue

joysticks, that's a standard pad. Let's see if I can recall my setup Lef

analogue = WASD, right analogue stick = mouse. The 4-way directional
 D-pad

selects weapons. Of the shoulder triggers I've got R1 (right top) as fir

primary, R2 secondary, L1 jump, L2 crouch. Triangle is torch on/off,

circle is grav-gun toggle, X is use, and square is reload.

>> but yeah it's still a bit too precise and it's damned annoying that

>> you've just picked up that splinter of wood and not the buzzsaw blade

>> right next to/beneath it; some sort of priority system needs to be pu

>> in there.
>
> Like I said, it tends to pick up things I'm not even remotely pointing

> at. Point it directly at the huge boulder and it picks up something

> several feet to one side or another. Hmm.

I second that hmm, I've not had it that bad.

>> It's also fun to kill the head-crabs with if you want to save ammo

>> don't want to use the crowbar; takes a couple of hits, bt at least it
's

>> a range weapon.
>
> Yeah, but you can *never* find anything to throw when you actually wan

> to use the gravity gun. Only when you're *not* trying to use it. That'

> why it's useless in any kind of battle. You can never find ammo in tim
e,

> it takes 12 attempts to pick up the ammo, now you can't see where you'
re

> aiming... oh, NM, you're already dead.

The fixed POV is damn annoying with the gun, make the pick-up

semi-transparent to simulate looking around the thing. I'm so surprised

this got past the beta with no complaints.

>> For a device that's supposed to be used in handling hazardous materia
ls

>> I've also found it amusing that a) it's difficult to manipulate an

>> object you're holding i.e. rotate it; and b) that for any object of

>> around briefcase size it obscures your forward vision.
>
> It does, however, reset the fuse on grenades. Note disable it, just

> reset it at the moment you pick it up. WTF?

Never noticed, I always assumed it wouldn't so I'd just run away from it

rather then switch and grab it or more often the loose board is happened

to passing at the time. I love the way that the Dog catch game is suppos
ed

to teach you to catch thrown grenades except the objects thrown by Dog a
re

about four times larger and don't explode.

--

Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

I'd heard there was a PS2 out, but PS3 is news...

>> 3. EP2 is available for something other than PC?
>
> Even availble for the Xbox360. Not the Wii though (yet).

Er, isn't the Xbox made by Micro$oft?

>> 4. OMG, how do you *play* with only 3 buttons??
>
> Assuming you're vaguely serious I've got 14 buttons plus two analogue
> joysticks, that's a standard pad.

Oh, OK. I've only seen a PS1. [Isn't that the one with the circle,
square and triangle? Makes me feel like it should be a kids' toy...]

>> Yeah, but you can *never* find anything to throw when you actually
>> want to use the gravity gun. Only when you're *not* trying to use it.
>> That's why it's useless in any kind of battle. You can never find ammo
>> in time, it takes 12 attempts to pick up the ammo, now you can't see
>> where you're aiming... oh, NM, you're already dead.
>
> The fixed POV is damn annoying with the gun, make the pick-up
> semi-transparent to simulate looking around the thing. I'm so surprised
> this got past the beta with no complaints.

All the weapons seem to have some kind of "drawback" to them. E.g., the
crossbow is leathal and has a cool sniper scope (WTF?), but reloads
painfully slowly and you aim extremely slowly while scoped. The SMG
fires a continuous stream of death - but it's wildly inaccurate and
delivers approximately 3% per damange per hit. And so on. And the
gravity gun is an instant kill if you ever hit anything - but it's not
possible to hit anything.

>> It does, however, reset the fuse on grenades. Note disable it, just
>> reset it at the moment you pick it up. WTF?
>
> Never noticed, I always assumed it wouldn't so I'd just run away from it
> rather then switch and grab it or more often the loose board is happened
> to passing at the time.

I once pluged keepy-uppy with the gravity gun and a grenade. If you pick
up the grenade, drop it, pick it up, drop it, pick it up... each time
you pick it up the fuse resets to 4 seconds. Just so long as you do it
quickly enough, you can keep it from exploding indefinitely.

> I love the way that the Dog catch game is
> supposed to teach you to catch thrown grenades except the objects thrown
> by Dog are about four times larger and don't explode.

...you can catch thrown grenades??

I know you can pick them up off the floor, but mid-air? Hmm, I'll have
to try that some day...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:20:42 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> 1. There exists a PS3?
>>  Yes.
>
> I'd heard there was a PS2 out, but PS3 is news...

In the EU since Nov 2006.

>>> 3. EP2 is available for something other than PC?
>>  Even availble for the Xbox360. Not the Wii though (yet).
>
> Er, isn't the Xbox made by Micro$oft?

Yep both the Xbox and Xbox360 are made by the Devil's minions.

>>> 4. OMG, how do you *play* with only 3 buttons??
>>  Assuming you're vaguely serious I've got 14 buttons plus two analogue
>> joysticks, that's a standard pad.
>
> Oh, OK. I've only seen a PS1. [Isn't that the one with the circle,
> square and triangle?

and X, it's a standard PS joypad they've all had the same layout. The
current rumbleless PS3 ones are a little lighter, but don't feel plastic-y

> Makes me feel like it should be a kids' toy...]

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-cod4-ps3-screenshots.html yup
kiddie-stuff

>>> Yeah, but you can *never* find anything to throw when you actually
>>> want to use the gravity gun. Only when you're *not* trying to use it.
>>> That's why it's useless in any kind of battle. You can never find ammo
>>> in time, it takes 12 attempts to pick up the ammo, now you can't see
>>> where you're aiming... oh, NM, you're already dead.
>>  The fixed POV is damn annoying with the gun, make the pick-up
>> semi-transparent to simulate looking around the thing. I'm so surprised
>> this got past the beta with no complaints.
>
> All the weapons seem to have some kind of "drawback" to them. E.g., the
> crossbow is leathal and has a cool sniper scope (WTF?), but reloads
> painfully slowly and you aim extremely slowly while scoped. The SMG
> fires a continuous stream of death - but it's wildly inaccurate and
> delivers approximately 3% per damange per hit. And so on. And the
> gravity gun is an instant kill if you ever hit anything - but it's not
> possible to hit anything.

I enjoy combining it with the saw blades and slicing the zombies, takes a
few more hits for those carrier zombies.

>>> It does, however, reset the fuse on grenades. Note disable it, just
>>> reset it at the moment you pick it up. WTF?
>>  Never noticed, I always assumed it wouldn't so I'd just run away from
>> it rather then switch and grab it or more often the loose board is
>> happened to passing at the time.
>
> I once pluged keepy-uppy with the gravity gun and a grenade. If you pick
> up the grenade, drop it, pick it up, drop it, pick it up... each time
> you pick it up the fuse resets to 4 seconds. Just so long as you do it
> quickly enough, you can keep it from exploding indefinitely.

Let's see if that's the same for the PS3.

>> I love the way that the Dog catch game is supposed to teach you to
>> catch thrown grenades except the objects thrown by Dog are about four
>> times larger and don't explode.
>
> ...you can catch thrown grenades??
>
> I know you can pick them up off the floor, but mid-air? Hmm, I'll have
> to try that some day...

I've done it occasionally when I've had the grav-gun out and empty and
spotted it in time, poinked it back where it came from and watched the
combine go boom.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com