POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game opinions : Re: Game opinions Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game opinions
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Feb 2008 11:39:08
Message: <op.t50dr4tkc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:20:42 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> 1. There exists a PS3?
>>  Yes.
>
> I'd heard there was a PS2 out, but PS3 is news...

In the EU since Nov 2006.

>>> 3. EP2 is available for something other than PC?
>>  Even availble for the Xbox360. Not the Wii though (yet).
>
> Er, isn't the Xbox made by Micro$oft?

Yep both the Xbox and Xbox360 are made by the Devil's minions.

>>> 4. OMG, how do you *play* with only 3 buttons??
>>  Assuming you're vaguely serious I've got 14 buttons plus two analogue
>> joysticks, that's a standard pad.
>
> Oh, OK. I've only seen a PS1. [Isn't that the one with the circle,
> square and triangle?

and X, it's a standard PS joypad they've all had the same layout. The
current rumbleless PS3 ones are a little lighter, but don't feel plastic-y

> Makes me feel like it should be a kids' toy...]

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-cod4-ps3-screenshots.html yup
kiddie-stuff

>>> Yeah, but you can *never* find anything to throw when you actually
>>> want to use the gravity gun. Only when you're *not* trying to use it.
>>> That's why it's useless in any kind of battle. You can never find ammo
>>> in time, it takes 12 attempts to pick up the ammo, now you can't see
>>> where you're aiming... oh, NM, you're already dead.
>>  The fixed POV is damn annoying with the gun, make the pick-up
>> semi-transparent to simulate looking around the thing. I'm so surprised
>> this got past the beta with no complaints.
>
> All the weapons seem to have some kind of "drawback" to them. E.g., the
> crossbow is leathal and has a cool sniper scope (WTF?), but reloads
> painfully slowly and you aim extremely slowly while scoped. The SMG
> fires a continuous stream of death - but it's wildly inaccurate and
> delivers approximately 3% per damange per hit. And so on. And the
> gravity gun is an instant kill if you ever hit anything - but it's not
> possible to hit anything.

I enjoy combining it with the saw blades and slicing the zombies, takes a
few more hits for those carrier zombies.

>>> It does, however, reset the fuse on grenades. Note disable it, just
>>> reset it at the moment you pick it up. WTF?
>>  Never noticed, I always assumed it wouldn't so I'd just run away from
>> it rather then switch and grab it or more often the loose board is
>> happened to passing at the time.
>
> I once pluged keepy-uppy with the gravity gun and a grenade. If you pick
> up the grenade, drop it, pick it up, drop it, pick it up... each time
> you pick it up the fuse resets to 4 seconds. Just so long as you do it
> quickly enough, you can keep it from exploding indefinitely.

Let's see if that's the same for the PS3.

>> I love the way that the Dog catch game is supposed to teach you to
>> catch thrown grenades except the objects thrown by Dog are about four
>> times larger and don't explode.
>
> ...you can catch thrown grenades??
>
> I know you can pick them up off the floor, but mid-air? Hmm, I'll have
> to try that some day...

I've done it occasionally when I've had the grav-gun out and empty and
spotted it in time, poinked it back where it came from and watched the
combine go boom.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com