POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game opinions : Re: Game opinions Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game opinions
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Feb 2008 11:12:32
Message: <op.t50cj3r8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:49:02 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did

spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> Seriously. You point it at a gas cylinder and it picks up a tiny

>>> pebble 6 feet to the left of the gas cylinder. FTW? It's just so

>>> *hopelessly* inaccurate. It takes 10 minutes to do anything useful

>>> with it - far too slow to be of use turing a tense battle scene.
>>  Again I'm on a PS3 so the aiming's tweaked,
>
> 1. There exists a PS3?

Yes.

> 2. You own one?

Yes.

> 3. EP2 is available for something other than PC?

Even availble for the Xbox360. Not the Wii though (yet).

> 4. OMG, how do you *play* with only 3 buttons??

Assuming you're vaguely serious I've got 14 buttons plus two analogue

joysticks, that's a standard pad. Let's see if I can recall my setup Lef

analogue = WASD, right analogue stick = mouse. The 4-way directional
 D-pad

selects weapons. Of the shoulder triggers I've got R1 (right top) as fir

primary, R2 secondary, L1 jump, L2 crouch. Triangle is torch on/off,

circle is grav-gun toggle, X is use, and square is reload.

>> but yeah it's still a bit too precise and it's damned annoying that

>> you've just picked up that splinter of wood and not the buzzsaw blade

>> right next to/beneath it; some sort of priority system needs to be pu

>> in there.
>
> Like I said, it tends to pick up things I'm not even remotely pointing

> at. Point it directly at the huge boulder and it picks up something

> several feet to one side or another. Hmm.

I second that hmm, I've not had it that bad.

>> It's also fun to kill the head-crabs with if you want to save ammo

>> don't want to use the crowbar; takes a couple of hits, bt at least it
's

>> a range weapon.
>
> Yeah, but you can *never* find anything to throw when you actually wan

> to use the gravity gun. Only when you're *not* trying to use it. That'

> why it's useless in any kind of battle. You can never find ammo in tim
e,

> it takes 12 attempts to pick up the ammo, now you can't see where you'
re

> aiming... oh, NM, you're already dead.

The fixed POV is damn annoying with the gun, make the pick-up

semi-transparent to simulate looking around the thing. I'm so surprised

this got past the beta with no complaints.

>> For a device that's supposed to be used in handling hazardous materia
ls

>> I've also found it amusing that a) it's difficult to manipulate an

>> object you're holding i.e. rotate it; and b) that for any object of

>> around briefcase size it obscures your forward vision.
>
> It does, however, reset the fuse on grenades. Note disable it, just

> reset it at the moment you pick it up. WTF?

Never noticed, I always assumed it wouldn't so I'd just run away from it

rather then switch and grab it or more often the loose board is happened

to passing at the time. I love the way that the Dog catch game is suppos
ed

to teach you to catch thrown grenades except the objects thrown by Dog a
re

about four times larger and don't explode.

--

Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com