POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isofunctions and meshes Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:43:09 EDT (-0400)
  Isofunctions and meshes (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: John Greenwood
Subject: Re: Isofunctions and meshes
Date: 6 Dec 2016 06:45:00
Message: <web.5846a39db9cec73de15d43a80@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> "John Greenwood" <joh### [at] john-greenwoodcouk> wrote:
> That object to mesh stuff is fascinating, unfortunately I'm terrible with
> meshes. And not so good with isosurfaces either. LOL
>
> Looks like you got a fair result. When I tried the in-pov converting from Chris
> Young I was getting inner CSG surfaces found until changing from unions to
> merge. Something I hadn't expected. No idea what could happen with isosurfaces
> based on that.
>
> Wish you luck.
>
> Bob

Thanks

I meshed this shape with different settings for resolution. The values are shown
under each example.

isoSmooth was set to no. The failures seem to happen regardless but this gives
an indication that in the first example, with resolution = 5, the failure is due
to the curvature being too tight.

However some of the higher settings of resolution gave what looks like meshing
failure.

Also flat is about 2.5 times faster.

(The meshing time is approximately proportional to the fourth power of the
resolution.)

http://news.povray.org/web.5846a1f84d513ebce15d43a80@news.povray.org

Post a reply to this message

"John Greenwood" <joh### [at] john-greenwoodcouk> wrote:
> "omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> > "John Greenwood" <joh### [at] john-greenwoodcouk> wrote:
> > That object to mesh stuff is fascinating, unfortunately I'm terrible with
> > meshes. And not so good with isosurfaces either. LOL
> >
> > Looks like you got a fair result. When I tried the in-pov converting from Chris
> > Young I was getting inner CSG surfaces found until changing from unions to
> > merge. Something I hadn't expected. No idea what could happen with isosurfaces
> > based on that.
> >
> > Wish you luck.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Thanks
>
> I meshed this shape with different settings for resolution. The values are shown
> under each example.
>
> isoSmooth was set to no. The failures seem to happen regardless but this gives
> an indication that in the first example, with resolution = 5, the failure is due
> to the curvature being too tight.
>
> However some of the higher settings of resolution gave what looks like meshing
> failure.
>
> Also flat is about 2.5 times faster.
>
> (The meshing time is approximately proportional to the fourth power of the
> resolution.)
>

> http://news.povray.org/web.5846a1f84d513ebce15d43a80@news.povray.org

Have you tried to set the recursion depth to 0 ?

Like this:

#declare Depth = 0;

I'm not able to see if the triangles are missing or if they are just dark. Can
you "see" through the openings where the triangles seem to be missing ?

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message