POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isofunctions and meshes : Re: Isofunctions and meshes Server Time
2 May 2024 06:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isofunctions and meshes
From: John Greenwood
Date: 6 Dec 2016 06:45:00
Message: <web.5846a39db9cec73de15d43a80@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> "John Greenwood" <joh### [at] john-greenwoodcouk> wrote:
> That object to mesh stuff is fascinating, unfortunately I'm terrible with
> meshes. And not so good with isosurfaces either. LOL
>
> Looks like you got a fair result. When I tried the in-pov converting from Chris
> Young I was getting inner CSG surfaces found until changing from unions to
> merge. Something I hadn't expected. No idea what could happen with isosurfaces
> based on that.
>
> Wish you luck.
>
> Bob

Thanks

I meshed this shape with different settings for resolution. The values are shown
under each example.

isoSmooth was set to no. The failures seem to happen regardless but this gives
an indication that in the first example, with resolution = 5, the failure is due
to the curvature being too tight.

However some of the higher settings of resolution gave what looks like meshing
failure.

Also flat is about 2.5 times faster.

(The meshing time is approximately proportional to the fourth power of the
resolution.)

http://news.povray.org/web.5846a1f84d513ebce15d43a80@news.povray.org