POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isofunctions and meshes : Re: Isofunctions and meshes Server Time
2 May 2024 03:08:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isofunctions and meshes
From: Leroy
Date: 6 Dec 2016 14:05:01
Message: <web.58470aa3b9cec73dc6bb200e0@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C47cc76fd@news.povray.org%3E/

> > --
> > Tor Olav
> > http://subcube.com
>
> I have had a look and am floundering.
>
> An example would be worth ten thousand words.
>
> Could some kind person point me at an actual example of converting a simple
> function, such as:
>     function(x,y,z){sqrt(pow(x,2)+pow(y,2)+pow(z,2))-L)/r }
> into a mesh object?

You can make any POV object into a mesh using trace.
My Rounded Prisms makes a Mesh2 file. Its at
http://leroywhetstone.s5.com/Pages/PovFiles.html#Tools

Although it's not simple, The basic idea is.
You take a mesh(in my case a simple flat surface) put the points into an array
then trace each point and save the new mesh.