POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to number objects? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  How to number objects? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: How to number objects?
Date: 18 Mar 1999 19:47:48
Message: <36f19eb4.0@news.povray.org>
I want each individual object actor[n] to be labelled with the number
"n" on its body.  When my "actor" was CSG of a few primitives,  I had a
sufficiently clever way of doing this: I created an additional object
slightly larger than my actor, which was the intersection of a text
object and my actor.

Now that I've converted to a sPatch- modelled object which contains many
bicubic patches, I suspect that the render time would creep to a halt if
I used the same technique.  Any suggestions on how to do this in the
pigment?  I don't want to make separate bitmaps for each number!

Post a reply to this message

Without seeing your code or original creations, I suspect that the point
on the creature's body you wish to place this number has a primative
shape (cylinder, sphere, etc.).  Simply create the primative, apply your
number and position it appropriately overlapping your creature in the
proper position.

You might want to experiment for "speed" by testing wether your method
of intersection of text and the object works better or simply making a
bitmap with a background that is transparent. (Ie. sometimes you have to
make all those bitmaps!)

Regards,
Robert J Becraft
aka cas### [at] aolcom

Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> I want each individual object actor[n] to be labelled with the number
> "n" on its body.  When my "actor" was CSG of a few primitives,  I had a
> sufficiently clever way of doing this: I created an additional object
> slightly larger than my actor, which was the intersection of a text
> object and my actor.
>
> Now that I've converted to a sPatch- modelled object which contains many
> bicubic patches, I suspect that the render time would creep to a halt if
> I used the same technique.  Any suggestions on how to do this in the
> pigment?  I don't want to make separate bitmaps for each number!

Post a reply to this message

My earlier version put the number label on one of the cones in my CSG.  The
method I used is the one you described.
In my latest version, I have switched to a sPatch model. It's no longer CSG of
primitives but about 25 bicubic patches.

I like letting the software do the work.  I can then easily change my number
"n" of actors from 15 to 40 with a single keystroke! Furthermoe, I have wasted
HOURS in the past trying to get a bitmap to align with any kind of sense on my
object.