POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Managment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:29 EDT (-0400)
  Memory Managment (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Ken
Subject: Memory Managment
Date: 12 Feb 1999 05:20:01
Message: <36C40004.B644D95@pacbell.net>
Hi,

  I have a couple of observations about memory managment on my system I would
like to get your opinions about.

  I have a file I rendered just now that has 100k objects and according to
Pov's stats used a peak memory of 102 megs. I have 128 megs of ram installed
on my system using two 64 meg 72 pin EDO ram simms in the first bank only.
My system architecture is supposed to be able to access up to a maximum of
128 megs so I have it max'd out.

  I also have a windows 98 managed swap file specified in the control panel.
System resources are 97% free according to several memory reporting utilities.
That leaves over 120 megs of unused free ram memory.

  After rendering the aforementioned scene I checked the size of my HD swap file
and it was nearly 135 megs in size. It's usual size under windows management is
20 megs until a program writes to it.

  What I don't understand is with 128 megs of ram memory on board why would my
swap file ever grow so large when the system memory is sufficient to cover the
use of the programs being run ? I know the speed increase of using ram memory
over swap file memory is significant and would prefer to run in that environment.

Anybody ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

'T was on Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:18:44 -0800,
that Ken wrote:
>   What I don't understand is with 128 megs of ram memory on board why would my
> swap file ever grow so large when the system memory is sufficient to cover the
> use of the programs being run ? I know the speed increase of using ram memory
> over swap file memory is significant and would prefer to run in that environment.

Start up the system monitor and see how much memory is used at the
moment. You'd be surprised to see how much memory is already hogged up at
startup...

It's a Windows thing. Don't try to understand it...   :|

Phoenix

--
eag### [at] telekabelnl                       http://users.telekabel.nl/eagle
The POV-Ray VFAQ: http://iki.fi/warp/povVFAQ.html

Post a reply to this message

> 'T was on Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:18:44 -0800,
> that Ken wrote:
> >   What I don't understand is with 128 megs of ram memory on board why would my
> > swap file ever grow so large when the system memory is sufficient to cover the
> > use of the programs being run ? I know the speed increase of using ram memory
> > over swap file memory is significant and would prefer to run in that environment.
>
> Start up the system monitor and see how much memory is used at the
> moment. You'd be surprised to see how much memory is already hogged up at
> startup...
>
> It's a Windows thing. Don't try to understand it...   :|
>
> Phoenix

While I appreciate your comments I was hoping to get just a little
bit more than that's just the way things are. Are there alternatives
to the way I have my system set up so as to optimize the performance
or is windows and the program conspiring against me.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

>It's a Windows thing. Don't try to understand it...   :|

Yep, that says it all. Windows (whether 95, 98 or NT) is a memory hog. No
matter what application you start, no matter how much free RAM (you think)
you have, it's never enough. Windows seems to be swapping just for the sake
of it, IMHO.

--
Rudy Velthuis

Post a reply to this message

'T was on Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:01:50 -0800,
that Ken wrote:
> While I appreciate your comments I was hoping to get just a little
> bit more than that's just the way things are. Are there alternatives
> to the way I have my system set up so as to optimize the performance
> or is windows and the program conspiring against me.

As Rudy said, Windows is a huge memory hogger and I have yet to find a
way to tell it otherwise...

The best thing you can do is restart Windows and run nothing but POV...

Phoenix

--
eag### [at] telekabelnl                       http://users.telekabel.nl/eagle
The POV-Ray VFAQ: http://iki.fi/warp/povVFAQ.html

Post a reply to this message

nowadays I use a little shell-switch program, with povray as shell,
gives me a bit more priority to pov, as well as reduced memory useage..

As for windows, I've noticed that it has a tendency to want as much swap
as the memory it uses, since it seldom bothers to release memory in the
swap, but simply allocates more. don't blame me for any errors in my
reasoning, blame vapour-soft.

//Spider

Phoenix wrote:

> 'T was on Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:18:44 -0800,
> that Ken wrote:
> >   What I don't understand is with 128 megs of ram memory on board why would my
> > swap file ever grow so large when the system memory is sufficient to cover the
> > use of the programs being run ? I know the speed increase of using ram memory
> > over swap file memory is significant and would prefer to run in that environment.
>
> Start up the system monitor and see how much memory is used at the
> moment. You'd be surprised to see how much memory is already hogged up at
> startup...
>
> It's a Windows thing. Don't try to understand it...   :|
>
> Phoenix
>
> --
> eag### [at] telekabelnl                       http://users.telekabel.nl/eagle
> The POV-Ray VFAQ: http://iki.fi/warp/povVFAQ.html

Post a reply to this message

Have you tried (risked, more like) a permanent swap file of a very
minimum size by manually setting the Virtual Memory? Maybe something
around that 20 Megabytes you mention that Windows is normally using, so
that POV-Ray (or is it Windows) is forced into RAM only.
Think I'll risk--- er, *try* that just to check for myself.

Ken wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have a couple of observations about memory managment on my system I would
> like to get your opinions about.
>
>   I have a file I rendered just now that has 100k objects and according to
> Pov's stats used a peak memory of 102 megs. I have 128 megs of ram installed
> on my system using two 64 meg 72 pin EDO ram simms in the first bank only.
> My system architecture is supposed to be able to access up to a maximum of
> 128 megs so I have it max'd out.
>
>   I also have a windows 98 managed swap file specified in the control panel.
> System resources are 97% free according to several memory reporting utilities.
> That leaves over 120 megs of unused free ram memory.
>
>   After rendering the aforementioned scene I checked the size of my HD swap file
> and it was nearly 135 megs in size. It's usual size under windows management is
> 20 megs until a program writes to it.
>
>   What I don't understand is with 128 megs of ram memory on board why would my
> swap file ever grow so large when the system memory is sufficient to cover the
> use of the programs being run ? I know the speed increase of using ram memory
> over swap file memory is significant and would prefer to run in that environment.
>
> Anybody ?
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net