POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Managment : Re: Memory Managment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Managment
From: Mike
Date: 12 Feb 1999 21:32:16
Message: <36C4E322.CE5B2027@aol.com>
Problem with that is that if you run out of both, the program is forced
to crash.

What I did on NT is set up a good permanent swap space by setting the
min to about 200 on two drives.  It takes up space all the time, but I
find it good to gaurentee that it will always be there.  If you set it
too low, you could end up using up all the space on your hard drive
without thinking about it and leave nothing for programs to deal with
when RAM runs out.

Then I set a real big space for the max. Went around 400 on one drive
and 1 gig on another.  As long as I don't fill up either drive I've got
plenty of space to deal with.

My computer doesn't really use virtual memory anymore when using POV
since I upgraded to 256 megs of RAM. Some programs prefer to use disk
space to store things, like the temp directory, since if the program
crashes the file isn't destroyed, so it's good to have the swap space
for that.