POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Memory Managment : Re: Memory Managment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:36:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Managment
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 13 Feb 1999 02:51:59
Message: <36C52DFE.B9D9F3CF@geocities.com>
Ken wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have a couple of observations about memory managment on my system I would
> like to get your opinions about.
>
>   I have a file I rendered just now that has 100k objects and according to
> Pov's stats used a peak memory of 102 megs. I have 128 megs of ram installed
> on my system using two 64 meg 72 pin EDO ram simms in the first bank only.
> My system architecture is supposed to be able to access up to a maximum of
> 128 megs so I have it max'd out.
>
>   I also have a windows 98 managed swap file specified in the control panel.
> System resources are 97% free according to several memory reporting utilities.
> That leaves over 120 megs of unused free ram memory.

One minor point. The 'system resources' is not a measure of your total memory, but
only that tiny special range of memory that Windows needs for each loaded program,
etc. Also, the % measurement you get used to be (3.1 days) a true % of the system
resources, but in 95 and later it is a % of what was free _after_ Windows gobbled up
all it's initial resources. You might have 100 MB of RAM free, but if you run out of
system resources, you can't even launch another program.

You might want to add the 'System Monitor' so that you can watch true memory use.

One other minor issue is that Windows tends to want to use whatever memory you have.
If you have a lot, it will go ahead and use it for it's own purposes and then swap
it's stuff out as programs are used.