POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Irradiance gradient & radiosity Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:07:20 EDT (-0400)
  Irradiance gradient & radiosity (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Mael
Subject: Re: Irradiance gradient & radiosity
Date: 18 Mar 2003 03:41:24
Message: <3e76dbb4$1@news.povray.org>
> OK till next sunday will provide patch for clipping removement and

Or a keyword "clipping" on/off in the radiosity block so the user have the
choice

> full implementation of gradients... because there is no translational
gradient in
> current POV implementation... only rotational... because its cheap to
calculate.

AFAICS it's the opposite, translational gradient (I admit I don't understand
how it is calculated in pov) but no rotational gradient. A problem in adding
another gradient is that it will cost a lot of memory (the existing gradient
already uses 3*3*sizeof(float) for each gather location !). Plus, for low
error_bound the gather locations get closer and the gradients become less
usefull (maybe a keywork to deactivate the gradient could be interesting for
people who want to save some RAM in those cases with many gather locations,
or for people who use only gather locations from a saved radiosity file)
Yet, I'll be happy to test your patch :)