POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Irradiance gradient & radiosity : Re: Irradiance gradient & radiosity Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irradiance gradient & radiosity
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Mar 2003 04:43:09
Message: <3E76EA2D.A7977880@gmx.de>
Mael wrote:

> > Side note : all those images have the 0 1 clipping done by pov on
> prediction
> > value (IMHO this clipping should be removed..)
>
> Same parameters, with rotational gradient, (so compare to
> cornell_rad_eb.5c450_halton_rotgrad.png) but with  no clipping (the 'light'
> is rgb 1 ambient 7.8)
> http://195.221.122.126/gradients/cornell_rad_eb.5c450_rotgrad_noclipping.png

This complies with the observations i made, the difference is not much
visible in most cases but it can lead to problems in special situations
like bright ambient objects or light sources.  See for example:

http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/files/rad_clip.png
http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/files/rad_no_clip.png

I think a switch for turning clipping on or off will be a good idea, i
planned something like that too.

Concerning rotational vs. translational gradients - as i already said i
think both have their uses.  I'd probably also introduce a switch for that
and make some more testing in practice.  Note that the gradients are not
stored in the rad cache file right now anyway.

Christoph