POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : procedural textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  procedural textures (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Lodewijk Voge
Subject: procedural textures
Date: 14 Dec 1998 18:54:18
Message: <slrn77b9cl.du3.lodewijk@reddwarf.xs4all.nl>
hello,

I've recently started playing with BMRT and now I wonder, is there any
technical reason (as opposed to things like lack of time or manpower) why the
texturing in povray uses hardcoded procedures instead of something like the
RenderMan shaders? they seem a lot more powerful, and it seems better design
as well.

am I missing something?

Lodewijk

Post a reply to this message

> I've recently started playing with BMRT and now I wonder, is there any
> technical reason (as opposed to things like lack of time or manpower) why the
> texturing in povray uses hardcoded procedures instead of something like the
> RenderMan shaders? they seem a lot more powerful, and it seems better design
> as well.
>
> am I missing something?
>
> Lodewijk

I think, that hardcoded procedures are faster.

Post a reply to this message

Disnel <Dis### [at] linuxitamcascz> wrote:

  >> I've recently started playing with BMRT and now I wonder, is there any
  >> technical reason (as opposed to things like lack of time or manpower)
  >> why the texturing in povray uses hardcoded procedures instead of
  >> something like the RenderMan shaders?

  > I think, that hardcoded procedures are faster.

faster than interpreted RenderMan shaders like BMRT uses, yes. not
significantly faster than shaders (in whatever language would be most
convenient) compiled to dynamically linkable objects that the povray
executable would link in on demand.

Post a reply to this message

> Disnel <Dis### [at] linuxitamcascz> wrote:
>
> >> I've recently started playing with BMRT and now I wonder, is there any
> >> technical reason (as opposed to things like lack of time or manpower)
> >> why the texturing in povray uses hardcoded procedures instead of
> >> something like the RenderMan shaders?
>
> > I think, that hardcoded procedures are faster.
>
> faster than interpreted RenderMan shaders like BMRT uses, yes. not
> significantly faster than shaders (in whatever language would be most
> convenient) compiled to dynamically linkable objects that the povray
> executable would link in on demand.

This is true.  Unfortunately, one of the most important aspects of POV is
its multi-platform capabilities.  For the record, the Isosurface patch
and the SuperPatch (the SuperPatch does have the isosurface patch in it,
right?) do allow user-defined functions for patterns.  This is not quite
as flexible as RenderMan shaders, but it's a start.  And you can use
dynamic libraries in windows and unix.  But the two OS's don't use the same
libraries, and you can't use them on any other platform.  :-(

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message