POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : procedural textures : Re: procedural textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: procedural textures
From: Dearmad
Date: 16 Feb 1999 00:51:15
Message: <36C9084A.5FE8EDDC@europa.com>
How wrote:

> I personally don't think it convient using RenderMan type shader in POV,
> because you have to compile it and then compile the rib file containing the
> texture before you can see it.  There is a extra step involved.
>
> Lodewijk Voge wrote in message ...
> >hello,
> >
> >I've recently started playing with BMRT and now I wonder, is there any
> >technical reason (as opposed to things like lack of time or manpower) why
> the
> >texturing in povray uses hardcoded procedures instead of something like the
> >RenderMan shaders? they seem a lot more powerful, and it seems better
> design
> >as well.
> >
> >am I missing something?

I don't think you're wrong.  My reply is why not have both?  The
hardcoding can save on render times if all you want are simple variancew
along the Z axis or a radial change, but being able to include one's own
designs is very very nice indeed.

As to the compiling process used by BMRT- there is NO reason this needs
to be, the renderer should be able to parse it's own darn procedurals-
perhaps a memory sacrifice in order to pre-compile before execution
would work if on-the-fly would be too slow.  At any rate one could write
a simple util to automate all this anyway- I'll take all the power I can
get in my textures! :o)

--
Stuff for POLYRAY, some raytraced images, and
DTA can be found at: