POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : procedural textures : Re: procedural textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: procedural textures
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 16 Dec 1998 00:23:28
Message: <367743F5.BFF0FD2C@Kopp.com>
Lodewijk Voge wrote:

> Disnel <Dis### [at] linuxitamcascz> wrote:
>
> >> I've recently started playing with BMRT and now I wonder, is there any
> >> technical reason (as opposed to things like lack of time or manpower)
> >> why the texturing in povray uses hardcoded procedures instead of
> >> something like the RenderMan shaders?
>
> > I think, that hardcoded procedures are faster.
>
> faster than interpreted RenderMan shaders like BMRT uses, yes. not
> significantly faster than shaders (in whatever language would be most
> convenient) compiled to dynamically linkable objects that the povray
> executable would link in on demand.

This is true.  Unfortunately, one of the most important aspects of POV is
its multi-platform capabilities.  For the record, the Isosurface patch
and the SuperPatch (the SuperPatch does have the isosurface patch in it,
right?) do allow user-defined functions for patterns.  This is not quite
as flexible as RenderMan shaders, but it's a start.  And you can use
dynamic libraries in windows and unix.  But the two OS's don't use the same
libraries, and you can't use them on any other platform.  :-(

-Nathan