POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:52 EDT (-0400)
  fps (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: fps
Date: 17 Sep 2013 18:02:11
Message: <5238d163$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/16/2013 6:20 PM, Shay wrote:
> On 09/16/2013 06:06 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Wow.. Guess you are like.. really not into immersion,
>  > <snip>
>> That said. Is Fallout: New Vegas on the PS3? Its sort of like
>> borderlands, except, well.. frankly, while "small stuff" isn't giving me
>> much XP, its massively about exploring all the locations, along with the
>> main story line, raiding the vaults in various places in the world,
>> and.. hoping you are strong enough, when you get there, to not get your
>> ass handed to you (which happened almost immediately, not far down the
>> road from where I started the game.
>
> I am into immersion, but if I want to immerse myself in an endless,
> brown wasteland, I'll read "Grapes of Wrath" again.
>
>   -Shay

lol Well, on a plus side, the 2nd, and 3rd bioshock don't have the
camera. Though.. the latest one did add back in a sort of, "If you want
to find every upgrade, I hope you found/kept track of ever locked chest,
and find every key needed to open them.", thing, which I personally
found real annoying. Still, neither of the later ones has the absurd
method of gaining "knowledge" of enemies. Well, absurd in the sense of
the time spent. If it had been something like an RPG, it makes some fit
of sense, Star Wars Galaxies had something like that, where studying
enough of something gained you something from it, I think, but it also
bogged down to killing a "lot" of them (due to game mechanics, and not
wanting to make you too strong too fast). In some respects, it would
have almost been better to have "non-game time" spent "studying" those
things, sort of like Eve Online does. Where if you where not sitting and
resting, or "offline" for a while, your rate of learning was
reduced/cancelled. Kind of like.. how Everquest 2 had a bonus for exp,
when you where adequately rested, but constant fighting resulted in the
bonus being lost, and it only coming back via actually spending time
"not" fighting.

But, for a FPS... there is no practical way to handle something like
that, other than just the frag fest solution of, "Congratulation, you
splattered 1,000 Nerfs! You gain the Nerf squisher attribute!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Sep 2013 18:04:43
Message: <5238d1fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/17/2013 11:33 AM, Warp wrote:
> Shay <non### [at] nonenone> wrote:
>> "Warp"  wrote in message news:523872f2@news.povray.org...
>>> I honestly can't understand what is it that you are looking for.
>
>> I suppose I'm looking for a fps with the sensibility of non-fps genres
>> (e.g., you don't have to walk 15 minutes between levels in a dual-stick
>> shooter).
>
>> I want to spend the overwhelming majority of time, well, first-person
>> shooting. The other (specific to fps?) elements--the long walks, the stone
>> turning, and the oh-so-immersive puzzle games--are, in my opinion, time
>> better-spent somewhere else.
>
> I'm still having hard time understanding whether you want a rail shooter
> or a wide open sandbox, a game with an immersive storyline or a game with
> basically no storyline at all. I still can't really grasp what exactly
> you are looking for.

Sounds to me like he wants Halo, and bought the wrong game system. lol

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 18 Sep 2013 19:05:01
Message: <web.523a317f90d558f2352a052d0@news.povray.org>
what you guys are talking about?  lame DOOM-clones?

do yourself a favor and get a copy of GTAV ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 18 Sep 2013 23:37:14
Message: <op.w3m2z8bcufxv4h@xena>
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:44:43 +0200, Shay <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> So, Scientific American is excited about the mental benefits of video
> games.
> Which video games? Maybe all of them, but the ones being tested are
> first-person
> shooters. That's a drag, because, in my limited experience, there's no
> other
> style of video game with less video game in it. I tried Bioshock: not
> only is it
> almost as much "playing pretend" as it is playing a game, but a decent
> portion
> of the game you do get to play is a shitty puzzle game. I guess they
> spent all
> their development time on the graphics.
>
> Are there any actual fps video games (not bedtime stories) available for
> ps3
> (first choice) or Steam, or did the industry take a permanent wrong turn
> after
> Doom?
>
> -Shay

What about Crysis? You can play it any way you like.

Or all those army games? Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc?

I installed Battlefield play4free last week and it was really hectic. I
got killed 5 times i a row within the first minute. But I'm guessing you
need higher bandwidth to play multiplayer games.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 18 Sep 2013 23:41:01
Message: <op.w3m26if0ufxv4h@xena>
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:04:31 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> what you guys are talking about?  lame DOOM-clones?
>
> do yourself a favor and get a copy of GTAV ;)

I heard a rumor there's already something like $1billion of preorders.
Even my sons classmates that aren't really gamers are excited about it.

I will prbably have to wait another year before it is released on PC
though.

The GTA series will really give you action. Just start shooting at police
and you will have war on your hands.

I'm also looking forward to Titanfall. That looks like what I want in a
game.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 19 Sep 2013 02:10:01
Message: <web.523a94d390d558f2f50a015d0@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:04:31 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > what you guys are talking about?  lame DOOM-clones?
> >
> > do yourself a favor and get a copy of GTAV ;)
> >
> I heard a rumor there's already something like $1billion of preorders.
> Even my sons classmates that aren't really gamers are excited about it.
>
> I will prbably have to wait another year before it is released on PC
> though.
>
> The GTA series will really give you action. Just start shooting at police
> and you will have war on your hands.
>
> I'm also looking forward to Titanfall. That looks like what I want in a
> game.

I was never into GTA.  Red Dead Redemption changed that to me.  Looks like they
bested out that gem in so many levels... shall be getting it tomorrow for PS3

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 19 Sep 2013 03:37:35
Message: <523aa9bf$1@news.povray.org>
> I heard a rumor there's already something like $1billion of preorders.
> Even my sons classmates that aren't really gamers are excited about it.

Ditto in my office, stories are rife of people you'd never expect to
play games staying up until the early hours with it.

> I will prbably have to wait another year before it is released on PC
> though.

Same here, not to mention my PS3 fried itself a couple of weeks ago, I
just can't get to grips with using a gamepad for these sort of shooting
games. I do OK running about and driving, but when I need to run about
and aim and shoot at the same time I can't do it. Give me a keyboard and
mouse please!

> The GTA series will really give you action. Just start shooting at
> police and you will have war on your hands.

I played FarCry3 recently, this is similar. After you get through the
initial forced storyline bit you are free to roam the islands, start
shooting random pirates or start taking out their bases. If you don't
manage to take them out silently they'll soon call for trucks of
reinforcements. I would think you need to follow the story "missions" to
get the most out of it though (similar to GTAV I would imagine if it's
anything like the previous versions).

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 19 Sep 2013 15:38:59
Message: <op.w3obi1flufxv4h@xena>
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:08:19 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> "Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:04:31 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > what you guys are talking about?  lame DOOM-clones?
>> >
>> > do yourself a favor and get a copy of GTAV ;)
>> >
>> I heard a rumor there's already something like $1billion of preorders.
>> Even my sons classmates that aren't really gamers are excited about it.
>>
>> I will prbably have to wait another year before it is released on PC
>> though.
>>
>> The GTA series will really give you action. Just start shooting at
>> police
>> and you will have war on your hands.
>>
>> I'm also looking forward to Titanfall. That looks like what I want in a
>> game.
>
> I was never into GTA.  Red Dead Redemption changed that to me.  Looks
> like they
> bested out that gem in so many levels... shall be getting it tomorrow
> for PS3

I never liked that you have to be a criminal in GTA. Yes, I know that's
what it's all about, but I like the idea of a totally open world game and
you can do what you want. I would like to be able to choose to be a cop in
GTA for instance. I would love to see an "A-Team" mod for GTA V ;)
It seems Watch_Dogs may be very close to what I want - A "GTA" where you
can choose to be the good guy for a change.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 20 Sep 2013 19:35:01
Message: <web.523cdb8c90d558f2352a052d0@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:08:19 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > "Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> >> I heard a rumor there's already something like $1billion of preorders.
> >> Even my sons classmates that aren't really gamers are excited about it.
> >>
> >> I will prbably have to wait another year before it is released on PC
> >> though.
> >>
> >> The GTA series will really give you action. Just start shooting at
> >> police
> >> and you will have war on your hands.
> >>
> >> I'm also looking forward to Titanfall. That looks like what I want in a
> >> game.
> >
> > I was never into GTA.  Red Dead Redemption changed that to me.  Looks
> > like they
> > bested out that gem in so many levels... shall be getting it tomorrow
> > for PS3
> >

> I never liked that you have to be a criminal in GTA. Yes, I know that's
> what it's all about, but I like the idea of a totally open world game and
> you can do what you want. I would like to be able to choose to be a cop in
> GTA for instance. I would love to see an "A-Team" mod for GTA V ;)
> It seems Watch_Dogs may be very close to what I want - A "GTA" where you
> can choose to be the good guy for a change.

I too don't dig the thug-for-thug's sake and all the hip-hop, but it's part of
the style of the series given it's very own namesake.  By it's very nature, an
urban open-world where you can do pretty much anything, you end up releasing
your social frustrations and unleashing chaos upon social conventions and the
ever present policial force.

In any case, bought it yesterday.  My first GTA aside from minor quick
incursions and RDR.  It's truly mindblowing this massive world and engine are
running on nearly 8-year old hardware.  It looks lush and beautiful.

It opens up with a "mission", a bank robber, one of hundreds of the main
storyline.  The game doesn't impose that you should conclude any to enjoy any of
its gameplay mechanics besides this first one.  So what I do next?  I steal a
car (several actually) and take the roads to enjoy the ride in this incredible
virtual world.  I even took a cab and made some honest money by riding
passengers around.  too bad the taxi owner won't see any of it... lol

the car riding aspect is very solid and fun, more arcade than simulation.  it
was pretty much all I did just for now, so, no real thugging attached... I also
rode a bike, a jetski, 4x4s to ride mountains etc... so far, it's the best
"racing" game ever, just because you can go anywhere you want, any time a day...

I'm still to follow the storyline and side-quest missions...