POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fps : Re: fps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fps
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Sep 2013 18:02:11
Message: <5238d163$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/16/2013 6:20 PM, Shay wrote:
> On 09/16/2013 06:06 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Wow.. Guess you are like.. really not into immersion,
>  > <snip>
>> That said. Is Fallout: New Vegas on the PS3? Its sort of like
>> borderlands, except, well.. frankly, while "small stuff" isn't giving me
>> much XP, its massively about exploring all the locations, along with the
>> main story line, raiding the vaults in various places in the world,
>> and.. hoping you are strong enough, when you get there, to not get your
>> ass handed to you (which happened almost immediately, not far down the
>> road from where I started the game.
>
> I am into immersion, but if I want to immerse myself in an endless,
> brown wasteland, I'll read "Grapes of Wrath" again.
>
>   -Shay

lol Well, on a plus side, the 2nd, and 3rd bioshock don't have the
camera. Though.. the latest one did add back in a sort of, "If you want
to find every upgrade, I hope you found/kept track of ever locked chest,
and find every key needed to open them.", thing, which I personally
found real annoying. Still, neither of the later ones has the absurd
method of gaining "knowledge" of enemies. Well, absurd in the sense of
the time spent. If it had been something like an RPG, it makes some fit
of sense, Star Wars Galaxies had something like that, where studying
enough of something gained you something from it, I think, but it also
bogged down to killing a "lot" of them (due to game mechanics, and not
wanting to make you too strong too fast). In some respects, it would
have almost been better to have "non-game time" spent "studying" those
things, sort of like Eve Online does. Where if you where not sitting and
resting, or "offline" for a while, your rate of learning was
reduced/cancelled. Kind of like.. how Everquest 2 had a bonus for exp,
when you where adequately rested, but constant fighting resulted in the
bonus being lost, and it only coming back via actually spending time
"not" fighting.

But, for a FPS... there is no practical way to handle something like
that, other than just the frag fest solution of, "Congratulation, you
splattered 1,000 Nerfs! You gain the Nerf squisher attribute!"