POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fps : Re: fps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fps
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Sep 2013 19:35:01
Message: <web.523cdb8c90d558f2352a052d0@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:08:19 +0200, nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > "Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> >> I heard a rumor there's already something like $1billion of preorders.
> >> Even my sons classmates that aren't really gamers are excited about it.
> >>
> >> I will prbably have to wait another year before it is released on PC
> >> though.
> >>
> >> The GTA series will really give you action. Just start shooting at
> >> police
> >> and you will have war on your hands.
> >>
> >> I'm also looking forward to Titanfall. That looks like what I want in a
> >> game.
> >
> > I was never into GTA.  Red Dead Redemption changed that to me.  Looks
> > like they
> > bested out that gem in so many levels... shall be getting it tomorrow
> > for PS3
> >

> I never liked that you have to be a criminal in GTA. Yes, I know that's
> what it's all about, but I like the idea of a totally open world game and
> you can do what you want. I would like to be able to choose to be a cop in
> GTA for instance. I would love to see an "A-Team" mod for GTA V ;)
> It seems Watch_Dogs may be very close to what I want - A "GTA" where you
> can choose to be the good guy for a change.

I too don't dig the thug-for-thug's sake and all the hip-hop, but it's part of
the style of the series given it's very own namesake.  By it's very nature, an
urban open-world where you can do pretty much anything, you end up releasing
your social frustrations and unleashing chaos upon social conventions and the
ever present policial force.

In any case, bought it yesterday.  My first GTA aside from minor quick
incursions and RDR.  It's truly mindblowing this massive world and engine are
running on nearly 8-year old hardware.  It looks lush and beautiful.

It opens up with a "mission", a bank robber, one of hundreds of the main
storyline.  The game doesn't impose that you should conclude any to enjoy any of
its gameplay mechanics besides this first one.  So what I do next?  I steal a
car (several actually) and take the roads to enjoy the ride in this incredible
virtual world.  I even took a cab and made some honest money by riding
passengers around.  too bad the taxi owner won't see any of it... lol

the car riding aspect is very solid and fun, more arcade than simulation.  it
was pretty much all I did just for now, so, no real thugging attached... I also
rode a bike, a jetski, 4x4s to ride mountains etc... so far, it's the best
"racing" game ever, just because you can go anywhere you want, any time a day...

I'm still to follow the storyline and side-quest missions...