POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet technology Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Tablet technology (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Tablet technology
Date: 18 Oct 2015 07:24:26
Message: <5623816a$1@news.povray.org>
Like many people [that was sarcasm], I have a graphing calculator. I'm
pretty sure it's powered by a Z80, and it has an awful 160x120 LCD. You
can "program" it, in that you can write a macro that opens menu pages in
a specific order. (WTF is the point of that, BTW?)

I keep thinking to myself "man, if only this had an actual programming
language on it. It's already a hand-held computer, if only I could write
code on this thing!"

Several times a week, Ebuyer sends me emails telling me about all the
wonderful stuff I could be giving them money for. I notice that some of
the really small tablets have now reached a price point where normal
humans can realistically afford to buy them. I'm vaguely tempted. But I
wonder... what can you actually do with a tablet?

I'm genuinely curious. What does a tablet let you do? Can you use it as
a hand-held Unix computer, run arbitrary code on it, use it to control
other electronic devices, and so forth? Or is it hard-wired to only let
you surf the Internet? For that matter, how does a device with no GSM
even connect to the Internet in the first place?

I have a couple of ideas for projects where a hand-sized computer would
be really useful, but I don't know if a tablet will actually do what I
want. Maybe it would be simpler to buy a Raspbery Pi and a touch-screen
hat. (OTOH, you can't really put that in your pocket, so...)

Post a reply to this message

On 10/18/2015 12:24 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> I'm genuinely curious. What does a tablet let you do? Can you use it as
> a hand-held Unix computer, run arbitrary code on it, use it to control
> other electronic devices, and so forth? Or is it hard-wired to only let
> you surf the Internet? For that matter, how does a device with no GSM
> even connect to the Internet in the first place?

Android devices can connect to the internet via Wifi or GSM if they have
a SIM.

As for running your own code on it. Quite a few people write their own
apps. (Sorry programme is too big a word to use.)
For instance the battery monitoring app I have will record, store and
graph the battery voltage. It can access the tablets internal inputs,
temperature, phone signal strength, accelerometer etc. It can output a
text file for debugging.

Does this help?
TL;DR

http://lifehacker.com/i-want-to-write-android-apps-where-do-i-start-1643818268

> I have a couple of ideas for projects where a hand-sized computer would
> be really useful, but I don't know if a tablet will actually do what I
> want. Maybe it would be simpler to buy a Raspbery Pi and a touch-screen
> hat. (OTOH, you can't really put that in your pocket, so...)

Raspberry jam, indeed. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen