POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet technology : Tablet technology Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Tablet technology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 18 Oct 2015 07:24:26
Message: <5623816a$1@news.povray.org>
Like many people [that was sarcasm], I have a graphing calculator. I'm
pretty sure it's powered by a Z80, and it has an awful 160x120 LCD. You
can "program" it, in that you can write a macro that opens menu pages in
a specific order. (WTF is the point of that, BTW?)

I keep thinking to myself "man, if only this had an actual programming
language on it. It's already a hand-held computer, if only I could write
code on this thing!"

Several times a week, Ebuyer sends me emails telling me about all the
wonderful stuff I could be giving them money for. I notice that some of
the really small tablets have now reached a price point where normal
humans can realistically afford to buy them. I'm vaguely tempted. But I
wonder... what can you actually do with a tablet?

I'm genuinely curious. What does a tablet let you do? Can you use it as
a hand-held Unix computer, run arbitrary code on it, use it to control
other electronic devices, and so forth? Or is it hard-wired to only let
you surf the Internet? For that matter, how does a device with no GSM
even connect to the Internet in the first place?

I have a couple of ideas for projects where a hand-sized computer would
be really useful, but I don't know if a tablet will actually do what I
want. Maybe it would be simpler to buy a Raspbery Pi and a touch-screen
hat. (OTOH, you can't really put that in your pocket, so...)