POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tablet technology : Re: Tablet technology Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tablet technology
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Oct 2015 10:58:24
Message: <5623b390$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/2015 12:24 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> I'm genuinely curious. What does a tablet let you do? Can you use it as
> a hand-held Unix computer, run arbitrary code on it, use it to control
> other electronic devices, and so forth? Or is it hard-wired to only let
> you surf the Internet? For that matter, how does a device with no GSM
> even connect to the Internet in the first place?

Android devices can connect to the internet via Wifi or GSM if they have
a SIM.

As for running your own code on it. Quite a few people write their own
apps. (Sorry programme is too big a word to use.)
For instance the battery monitoring app I have will record, store and
graph the battery voltage. It can access the tablets internal inputs,
temperature, phone signal strength, accelerometer etc. It can output a
text file for debugging.

Does this help?
TL;DR

http://lifehacker.com/i-want-to-write-android-apps-where-do-i-start-1643818268

> I have a couple of ideas for projects where a hand-sized computer would
> be really useful, but I don't know if a tablet will actually do what I
> want. Maybe it would be simpler to buy a Raspbery Pi and a touch-screen
> hat. (OTOH, you can't really put that in your pocket, so...)

Raspberry jam, indeed. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen