POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I should have more time (but actually don't) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Why I should have more time (but actually don't) (Message 1 to 10 of 55)
From: andrel
Subject: Why I should have more time (but actually don't)
Date: 23 Sep 2014 09:50:38
Message: <54217AAA.2020201@gmail.com>
Recently a couple of interesting things have happened in my life.

- There was a (mock) competition that aimed to locate the longest
temporary employed scientist in the Netherlands. I won with 25 years and
4 months so far. The runner up has a month less, we have a safe distance
from the rest (http://platform-hnu.nl/prijsvraag/). For comparison: the
legal maximum is 4 years.
- that result was published on the cover of a national newspaper
(https://twitter.com/PLATFORMHNU/status/506568172695474176/photo/1
article at
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2686/Binnenland/article/detail/3733455/2014/09/02/Zorg-in-de-universitaire-wereld-de-wetenschapper-als-flexwerker.dhtml)

including a picture of me :( inside there was also an interview.
- This week a national magazine (Vrij Nederland) ran an article making
the point was that public funded institutions (like universities and
hospitals) use all sort of tricks to circumvent laws and among other
things keep employees longer on temporary positions than legal. The
author even invented a new verb for that sort of unethical behaviour. I
am also a verb now \o/

So far the fun part. Temporary inherently implies that the contract ends
at some point. I am unemployed since Aug 1st. (The runner up is also
unemployed, so (s)he is not catching up while I am down)
Being unemployed costs a lot more time than I expected, so I am just
slowly getting more time to do new things. But I am (re)studying some
programming languages, so that at least is fun.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.

Post a reply to this message

> Recently a couple of interesting things have happened in my life.

[Snip]

> author even invented a new verb for that sort of unethical behaviour. I
> am also a verb now \o/

"Careful, you might get andreled."

> So far the fun part. Temporary inherently implies that the contract ends
> at some point. I am unemployed since Aug 1st.

Did you know what the prize was when you were entered?

 >  (The runner up is also
> unemployed, so (s)he is not catching up while I am down)
> Being unemployed costs a lot more time than I expected, so I am just
> slowly getting more time to do new things. But I am (re)studying some
> programming languages, so that at least is fun.

I was made redundant from a Permanent job about 20 years ago. It was
probably one of the better things that has happened to me, in retrospect.

And think of all the tax you pay in the Netherlands. Time to get some of
the benefits. :-)

The other thing is having more time to spend money is costly.

My condolences these things can shock your system.
And I am sure it won't be long before you are back working again.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message