POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I should have more time (but actually don't) : Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't)
From: andrel
Date: 23 Sep 2014 15:21:53
Message: <5421C84C.5020700@gmail.com>
On 23-9-2014 20:11, clipka wrote:
> Am 23.09.2014 15:50, schrieb andrel:
>
>> So far the fun part. Temporary inherently implies that the contract ends
>> at some point. I am unemployed since Aug 1st.
>
> That sucks. If you accumulated those 25 years and 4 months at a single
> employer, in Germany you would be entitled to permanent employment (or
> compensation) after just 2 years...

Here it is, I think, now two contracts and 4 years. So if you have one
year contracts 2 is max, but one can be for 3.

Technically I was not all that time with one employer, though for the
last 9 years I was full time at the same desk with the same group of
people. Before that mostly full time but also sometimes only part time
in the AMC. So, I was more than 25 years doing basically the same work
at the same place, but only the last 2 contracts and last 4 years count,
so they are safe. (losing a lot of knowledge and experience, but who
cares). If this had been a private company, it would be illegal as well.

> ... which was originally designed to reduce the number of temporary
> contracts in favor of permanent ones, but in practice only leads to a
> quasi-guarantee that temporary employment contracts will /not/ be
> renewed after 2 years.

In science we often need longer times. First as a PhD student (which is
a job here) then as a post-doc. Sometimes post-doc's still need to
finish things after a project so there is a need for extending temporary
contracts. Problems start to arise when the post-doc, besides her
project, has to take on structural tasks to keep the department running.
We are all aware that the system is broken, but nobody is take serious
action. They just let the lawyers think up a way to circumvent the law
for a couple of years. And when that is forbidden, try something else.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.