POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I should have more time (but actually don't) : Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't)
From: andrel
Date: 23 Sep 2014 15:29:21
Message: <5421CA0A.3050002@gmail.com>
On 23-9-2014 17:36, Stephen wrote:
> On 23/09/2014 14:50, andrel wrote:
>> Recently a couple of interesting things have happened in my life.
>>

> [Snip]
>
>> author even invented a new verb for that sort of unethical behaviour. I
>> am also a verb now \o/
>>
> "Careful, you might get andreled."

I was actually 'linnenbanked'. (the verb is from my last name, my
official first name is too common. If the journalist had know that I
normally use andrel he might have gone for that.

>> So far the fun part. Temporary inherently implies that the contract ends
>> at some point. I am unemployed since Aug 1st.
>
> Did you know what the prize was when you were entered?

Yes. There will be a party/symposium to draw attention to the situation
later this year. The price was that someone is going to pick me up to go
there. (no money, no cup, not even a contract will be awarded) National
coverage was not foreseen, but a nice bonus.

>  >  (The runner up is also
>> unemployed, so (s)he is not catching up while I am down)
>> Being unemployed costs a lot more time than I expected, so I am just
>> slowly getting more time to do new things. But I am (re)studying some
>> programming languages, so that at least is fun.
>>

> I was made redundant from a Permanent job about 20 years ago.

Yes, I have been longer temporary than many people in permanent positions.

> It was
> probably one of the better things that has happened to me, in retrospect.

I am hoping it will be for me too.

> And think of all the tax you pay in the Netherlands. Time to get some of
> the benefits. :-)
>
> The other thing is having more time to spend money is costly.

I try to hide in my room at home during office hours, so that is not a
problem yet.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.