POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Mensa: a table (Latin) (Message 91 to 100 of 140)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
Date: 17 Jan 2014 09:19:28
Message: <52d93bf0$1@news.povray.org>
>> ?? I thought all animals made choices? Even a single logic gate is
>> capable of making a choice.
> A logic gate know why it make a choice?

How do you want to define "knowing" why it made a choice? Because it
can't talk to you or write to you to explain itself? How about if it
spoke a simple message like "I chose action X because A and B were both
positive", would that count as knowing why it made the choice?

> Human know about his choice. It
> is what I want to say.

Surely other animals know about their choices too? How about when you
train a dog to do certain things?

Post a reply to this message

> How do you want to define "knowing" why it made a choice?

It must be some sort of intelligent design. ;-)

> Because it
> can't talk to you or write to you to explain itself? How about if it
> spoke a simple message like "I chose action X because A and B were both
> positive", would that count as knowing why it made the choice?
>
>> Human know about his choice. It
>> is what I want to say.
>
> Surely other animals know about their choices too? How about when you
> train a dog to do certain things?

And if they have done something wrong.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> How do you want to define "knowing" why it made a choice?
>
> It must be some sort of intelligent design. ;-)
>
>> Because it
>> can't talk to you or write to you to explain itself? How about if it
>> spoke a simple message like "I chose action X because A and B were both
>> positive", would that count as knowing why it made the choice?

A logic gate isn't intelligent, even if a message like "I chose action X
because A and B were both positive" is emit, the gate can't explain the
words "positive" or "A"...
Can we says the machine are intelligent?
>>> Human know about his choice. It
>>> is what I want to say.
>>
>> Surely other animals know about their choices too? How about when you
>> train a dog to do certain things?
>
> And if they have done something wrong.

Yes, Human know if he make wrong action, waht about animals? Good or
evil are humans concepts, not animals, not machines.
I think humans are the only creatures able to really choose. Some
"educated" animals can also choose, but are they able to say waht is
good or bad?

---
Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la
protection avast! Antivirus est active.

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Jan 2014 10:30:18
Message: <52d94c8a@news.povray.org>
On 17/01/2014 3:10 PM, FractRacer wrote:
> Le 17/01/2014 15:47, Stephen a écrit :

> A logic gate isn't intelligent, even if a message like "I chose action X
> because A and B were both positive" is emit, the gate can't explain the
> words "positive" or "A"...
> Can we says the machine are intelligent?

Again, what do we mean by intelligence? I cannot answer until I know
what you understand the meaning is.
And then we would probably argue over if for so long. We would have
forgotten what the question was. :-)

>>> Surely other animals know about their choices too? How about when you
>>> train a dog to do certain things?
>>
>> And if they have done something wrong.
>>
> Yes, Human know if he make wrong action, waht about animals? Good or
> evil are humans concepts, not animals, not machines.
> I think humans are the only creatures able to really choose. Some
> "educated" animals can also choose, but are they able to say waht is
> good or bad?

It was animals I was talking about. I was thinking about dogs in particular.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Jan 2014 10:32:17
Message: <52d94d01$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/01/2014 3:30 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> Can we says the machine are intelligent?
>
> Again, what do we mean by intelligence?

To give you a quick answer. No, not at the moment.
But that is not to say that they never will be. IMO

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 17 Jan 2014 10:39:48
Message: <52d94ec4$1@news.povray.org>
> A logic gate isn't intelligent, even if a message like "I chose action X
> because A and B were both positive" is emit, the gate can't explain the
> words "positive" or "A"...

With a few more logic gates it could look up the definition on wikipedia
and read it out to you. An animal can't explain any words though. Which
is more intelligent?

> I think humans are the only creatures able to really choose.

Your brain gets inputs and stores them, and then when it is required to
make a decision it utilises the past inputs to make a decision. If that
process can be called "choosing", then it seems to me like other animals
and machines can also "choose". What's the difference?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2014 11:39:30
Message: <52d95cc2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2014 09:31, schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Human: probably the only living animal that can kill without the
> need/justfication to eat its prey. Contamination to nearby animals, like
> dogs, has been observed on specific individuals.

That's actually nonsense, arising from some kind of "inverse
human-centric" mindset. Some examples:

When male lions defeat others to take over their harem, they tend to try
and kill any cubs the females are currently raising. (This seems to be a
common trend in other felines as well, except that males only rarely
come across cubs.)

During the "salmon season", Bears are know to kill many more salmons
than they can possibly eat, devouring only the most tasty parts and
leaving the rest of the cadavers to rot.

Orcas have been observed in what appear to be "killing games" with seals.

In plenty of species, rival males sometimes fight to the death.

In some spider species, females tend to kill the male they mate with.

(Not to mention the countless species that, when aggravated, will try to
kill whatever they deem a threat to their young.)

I suspect the list could be continued with plenty more examples if we
only dared to look more carefully at the habits of other creatures.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2014 12:13:06
Message: <52d964a2@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2014 16:10, schrieb FractRacer:

> Yes, Human know if he make wrong action, waht about animals? Good or
> evil are humans concepts, not animals, not machines.
> I think humans are the only creatures able to really choose. Some
> "educated" animals can also choose, but are they able to say waht is
> good or bad?

Are /you/ able to say what is good or bad? If so, tell me.

Kitten do learn what is good or bad, by interacting with their siblings
and their mother. Good := behaviour provoking positive feedback, evil :=
behaviour provoking negative feedback.

For instance, kitten learn not to play too rough because this will cause
the siblings to abort the game.

This way, some kitten will learn to actually /be/ good, while others
will learn to not get /caught/ when being evil.

No difference there to humans. We, too, unconsciously follow the very
same underlying definition of good and evil, the details of which we
have learned during childhood, in the very same manner.

Note that as a consequence there is no such thing as a universal concept
of good and evil; each individual /inevitably/ has its own unique
concept thereof, shaped by the family, society and culture he was
brought up in.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2014 12:15:51
Message: <52d96547@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2014 11:23, schrieb scott:

> I don't know much about how the old system worked in the UK, but I
> assume if you couldn't keep up or were obviously too bright you switched
> schools (eg you had a bad day or a fluke for the entry exam)? After all
> this kind of system seems to work ok in other countries (eg Germany),
> seems to me like the implementation details were just wrong here.

There are tendencies in Germany to try and get rid of that system. Not
sure I approve of that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 17 Jan 2014 13:31:10
Message: <52d976ee$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/01/2014 10:23 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Not if the separation was a totally different school rather than just
>>> different classes.
>>
>> Didn't the UK try that already? Didn't that lead to a generation of
>> people being labelled according to which type of school they got sent
>> to, rather than anything they actually achieved while there?
>
> And how is that any different than the labelling of people today based
> on which university they went to rather than what they actually
> achieved? And what is the problem with that (assuming they passed the
> course)?

I don't know, man. I thought a degree is pretty much a degree; nobody
seems to care much where you got it. (Unless it was somewhere really
famous like Oxford or Cambridge. But that's because almost nobody goes
there...)

By the time you reach adulthood, you have presumably given up on calling
people names because they're "teacher's pet". Question is, how do we get
younger children to do that...