POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2014 11:39:30
Message: <52d95cc2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2014 09:31, schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Human: probably the only living animal that can kill without the
> need/justfication to eat its prey. Contamination to nearby animals, like
> dogs, has been observed on specific individuals.

That's actually nonsense, arising from some kind of "inverse
human-centric" mindset. Some examples:

When male lions defeat others to take over their harem, they tend to try
and kill any cubs the females are currently raising. (This seems to be a
common trend in other felines as well, except that males only rarely
come across cubs.)

During the "salmon season", Bears are know to kill many more salmons
than they can possibly eat, devouring only the most tasty parts and
leaving the rest of the cadavers to rot.

Orcas have been observed in what appear to be "killing games" with seals.

In plenty of species, rival males sometimes fight to the death.

In some spider species, females tend to kill the male they mate with.

(Not to mention the countless species that, when aggravated, will try to
kill whatever they deem a threat to their young.)

I suspect the list could be continued with plenty more examples if we
only dared to look more carefully at the habits of other creatures.