POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "Truly free" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  "Truly free" (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: "Truly free"
Date: 22 Mar 2013 11:31:54
Message: <514c796a@news.povray.org>
OK, I need the opinion of a few folks disconnected from a debate I'm
having.

Let's say you have a software product, and updates/support/enhancements
are provided only if you pay an annual "maintenance" fee.

A new component is developed for the software, and is made available to
those on a current maintenance plan.  Other customers can purchase it at
a per-seat license.

Is that new component "free" (as in "no cost") to those who are on
maintenance, or not?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> OK, I need the opinion of a few folks disconnected from a debate I'm
> having.
>
> Let's say you have a software product, and updates/support/enhancements
> are provided only if you pay an annual "maintenance" fee.

Sounds like most of our CAD software here...

> A new component is developed for the software, and is made available to
> those on a current maintenance plan.  Other customers can purchase it at
> a per-seat license.
>
> Is that new component "free" (as in "no cost") to those who are on
> maintenance, or not?

Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:45:59 +0000, scott wrote:

>> OK, I need the opinion of a few folks disconnected from a debate I'm
>> having.
>>
>> Let's say you have a software product, and updates/support/enhancements
>> are provided only if you pay an annual "maintenance" fee.
>
> Sounds like most of our CAD software here...
>
>> A new component is developed for the software, and is made available to
>> those on a current maintenance plan.  Other customers can purchase it
>> at a per-seat license.
>>
>> Is that new component "free" (as in "no cost") to those who are on
>> maintenance, or not?
>
> Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
> free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
> active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
> would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
> mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).

Thanks for the feedback, Scott.  I'm going to hold off on my opinion
until I get a few more replies, because I don't want to influence the

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
> free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
> active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
> would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
> mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).

Succinctly put. I agree.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:45:59 +0000, scott wrote:

>> OK, I need the opinion of a few folks disconnected from a debate I'm
>> having.
>>
>> Let's say you have a software product, and updates/support/enhancements
>> are provided only if you pay an annual "maintenance" fee.
>
> Sounds like most of our CAD software here...
>
>> A new component is developed for the software, and is made available to
>> those on a current maintenance plan.  Other customers can purchase it
>> at a per-seat license.
>>
>> Is that new component "free" (as in "no cost") to those who are on
>> maintenance, or not?
>
> Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
> free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
> active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
> would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
> mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).

Follow-up question:

What about the phrasing "free for existing customers" when an "existing
customer" is defined as "someone who pays their annual maintenance fees".

Do you see it as a fair/honest statement if you just say "free for
existing customers" without defining what an existing customer is in the
context of that discussion?

Jim

Post a reply to this message